Should College Athletes Be Paid?

On July 1, 2021, the NCAA changed their stance and rules regarding college athletes profiting from their name. The NCAA now allows college athletes to be paid from their social media accounts, autograph signings, create their own line of merchandise, endorsement deals, and other financial opportunities. This rule applies for all three divisions (I,II, and III), not just Division I, like many people think. As you can imagine there is a lot of controversy around this topic as people think if college athletes are being paid then it’s no different than playing in the NBA, NFL or any other professional league. There are still rules in place for coaching staff and schools when it comes to recruiting college athletes. Coaches and schools are not allowed to offer any financial compensation to get them to play for their school.

With the new NCAA rule change, I believe there will be a positive impact not only for the players but for their families too. For instance, many college athletes are valued at over a million dollars, although they and their families may live below the poverty line. In the past year, 25% of Division I athletes suffered from food insecurity and 14% were homeless. Plus, these athletes not only put their mental health at risk but their physical health too. In 2017, there was a report that stated 67% of previous Division I athletes had suffered through a major injury and 50% had some form of a chronic injury. Some people believe that since athletes can get paid it will lower the quality of their play, as they will be more focused on their next paycheck. I don’t believe this to be true, as I believe that many of these players are working towards playing at the next level after college. 

Athletes have already been profiting from this new rule as it went into effect this summer. My personal opinion is that the NCAA made the right decision as colleges, media, and businesses have been profiting off college athletes for decades. Why should schools and other outlets profit from the athletes and not give them anything in return? The athletes are the ones risking everything in order to promote their school and their respective sport. Changes needed to be made to help level the playing field in college sports. 

1. How do you feel about college athletes being compensated?

2. Do you think athletes will just care about the paycheck rather than playing the sport?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/paying-college-athletes-top-3-pros-and-cons/

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/03/1012832019/ncaa-will-let-college-athletes-earn-money-off-of-name-and-likeness

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and excellent job Macy!

• I definetly think that colage athletes should be able to gain income from their position in sports because most of them do not have time to work and need money for everyday things. I however do not think that colage athletes need to be paid millions of dallars like profesional athletes are. I think that a paycheck would definetly be a motivater for the athletes.

• I think it's a good thing they can get paid now because now they can make money off a product they have made before college because they used to not be able to do that. I think it could be bad for some kids that do not know how to handle their money.

• Only in America would I say that free college is enough pay for these tallented athletes. If college didn't cost a small fortune, I would definitley support the athlete getting paid. I do think that they should get paid if they're used in any marketing though. 

• I think being in the position of a college athlete would be befeficial when getting paid. The only problem is, technically, the athletes are already getting paid for their sport through scholarships. I'm not sure that it makes sense to pay them even more money. I think it would depend on the person playing the sport whether they will try as much or not.

• You're abosolutely right, although many people think that having a free education isn't enough for how much these colleges profit off of their athletes. But, I would also hope that the athletes would put in the same amount of effort if not more, regardless if they are being paid or not. 

• I think they should be payed. College is expensive and on this way it's a little bit easier to afford it. I mean the college gets a lot of money because those athletes compete, so why shouldn't they get some of that money? Also they spend a lot of time doing workouts and having games which helds them back from learning. Of course the payement shouldn't be as high as a professional athelte but there should be a payement.

• I couldn't agree with you more, they spend a lot of time dedicating their time towards their sport that they are playing and having to balance college on top of that is a lot of work. So, I don' think they should be paid as much as a professional athletes but they should get a paycheck of some kind.

• I think that they should be paid, but not quite as much as professional players. They spend almost as much time as professional athletes on their sport. They also have to pay for their college fees. They should most definitely be paid at least a little bit for all of their hard work.

• I totally agree, they put the same amount of time and effort into their sport as professional athletes do although they don't recieve anything in return for that besides the small chance to play at the next level. Plus, some stuff students have to pay for at college is very expensive and being a college athlete takes up a lot of time so most of them aren't able to get a job. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker