Some argue that college should be a requirement for NBA/NFL athletes. They believe that attending college shows athletes further develops their skills and knowledge of the game. College provides a structured environment where athletes are able to receive professional coaching, access to high level facilities, and compete against many other talented players. Additionally, college offers a valuable education that can serve as a backup plan if their professional sports career doesn’t work out. It gives athletes life skills, critical thinking abilities, and a broader perspective that can benefit them beyond the sports field. On the other side of the argument, people believe that these talented athletes should have the freedom to pursue their professional careers straight out of high school. They argue that highschool athletes may not need the additional years in college, as they may already have the necessary talent and have the potential for success. By entering the NBA or NFL earlier, these athletes can start earning a living sooner and provide financial support for not only themselves and their families. The professional sports industry offers great opportunities for growth and development that cannot be made up in a college setting. Finally, the question of whether college should be a requirement for NBA/NFL athletes has turned into a popular question recently. It involves weighing the benefits of college education, skill development, and personal growth against the potential opportunities and financial stability that professional sports can offer. Both sides of the debate have valid points, and the decision should consider the individual circumstances and their goals of the athletes. It’s a topic that inspires discussions and the ongoing debate of what's best for the future of sports and the athletes themselves. In my opinion I think that they shouldn’t be required to attend college before going professional. I think this because it should be their choice, and there shouldn’t be a choice made for them.

Do you think athletes should be required to go to college?

If yes, how many years should they go for?

Do you think they learn other necessary skills at college?

Links:

https://vault.com/professions/professional-athletes-8212-team-sports/requirements

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8344785/young-athletes-degree-matters

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that athletes should be required to go to college in order to play professionally. If the athlete is good enough to make the jump from highschool to pro ball, then they shouldn't have to delay the money making for at least one year.

• I agree with you, I personally do not think that athletes should be required to attend college in order to play professionally. If the athlete has enough skill to skip the college level, then they should be able to. 

• I think athletes shoudn't be required to go to college to go pro because if they are good enough they should compete well against other professionals in their sport. But I think going to college could be beneficial because you get more experience before going pro.

• I completely agree with you, I think that if the athlete is good enough to compete in the professional league and skip college. Then they should have that option and not have the decision already made for them. 

• I don't think that athletes should be required to play in college or even go to college to play professionally. If you have a professional level of talent, are entertaining to watch, and are NBA/NFL-worthy, then you shouldn't be denied that opportunity because you didn't play in college.

• I agree with you, I think that if an athlete in highschool has enough talent to play professionally and skip the college level entirely then they should have the choice to be able to do that. Instead of being forced to play in college and risk injury. 

• I think that athletes should be required to go to college before going pro. I don't think a athlete straight out of highschool have the knowledge to go straight to the pros playing sports. Athletes should also need to have the education to make it in the world alone. 

• I do not agree with you, but I understand your opinion. I think that if the athlete is good enough to go straight to the professionals, then they should have the option to go there and the decision should not be made for them already. But if they end up failing  in the pros because they ddi not attend college, then that mistake is on the athlete. 

• GOing from collage to pro just seems right. You don't start to run before you can walk, and it just seems natural. Playing in collage gives people a taste for what playing pro could be like. They would get a good understanding of the sport, how to behave, and what to do. I think that they should be required to have at least 2 years of playing in collage before going pro. 

• I don't think that athletes should be required to go to college before playing professionally. Although it shouldn't be required I think that it should be highly encouraged. Going to college can better prepare them for the future, in academics and athletics. College gives athletes another opportunity to play at a higher level then in highschool which can make them better in the end.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker