Should anyone be able to adopt?

Having a kid is a lot of responsibility, but something that is even harder is having a kid that has been through the system of foster care. Foster care is a system that places a kid (up to 18 years old) in a group home or a private home. In a private home is a state-certified caregiver also known as a “foster parent”. The placement of the child is normally due to the parents losing custody of the child for many different reasons, however, this is not always the case. Sometimes it is because the child's parents or guardian passed away, and the child has no other relatives to go to.  

In Iowa you have to go through a process to adopt a child. Including face-to-face interviews with a social worker and eventually the child or teen, home visits, and a background check including checking fingerprints, records, criminal records, amd child abuse records. You don’t have to be married and you don’t have to live in a house, you can live in a trailer or an apartment. You have to be at least 21 years old, but there is no maximum age as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable. You don’t need parenting experience either, there is training that can be provided. If the child is 14-18 they have to agree to the adoption, the biological parent(s) must give consent in the presence of the court or a social worker. 

After the adoption the biological parent(s) have 30 days to change their minds unless it was an emergency adoption where the child is taken from their home because they were in a dangerous setting. So you have to go through a lot to become a foster parent. Not everyone is fit for the job. There are different laws set in place so the child is in a safe home. Including you have to be at least 21, if you are a couple adopting one of you is the parent of the child who is being adopted, and there is no maximum age limit, as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable.  

In my opinion I don’t think that anyone should be able to adopt a kid, you have to be stable mentally, physically, and financially. If anyone could adopt I think that the kid could be in danger. I think that the laws are good, and that if you can prove you are stable enough to take care of a child then you should be able to adopt. 

Do you think that anyone should be able to adopt? 

Do you think there should be an age maxuim? why? Why not? 

If you do, what should it be? 

Do you think that you should have to be 21? Why? Why not? 

Sorces: 

Source 1

Source 2 

Source 3 

Source 4 

Source 5

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No becuase of some people really want to adopt and cant and the people that dont do. No their shouldnt be a age limt to it. 21 you are more mature and paying bills and taxs and probably living on your own and been out of high school for 3 years and know how the world it

• I think that not everyone deserves the right to adopt a kid if the kid was put in the adoption center it is because the parents wanted more for that kid than they could provide. I think that when looking into adoption you need to be approved maybe by the state that you are capable of having a kid and you are not putting the kid in a dangerous situation.

• I agree it would be better for the kid to be in a safe enverment 

• I don't think just anyone should be able to adopt. People should have to go through various background checks and home visits before they can be considered to adopt. There are many people who absolutely should not be able to adopt kids, so we need to be aware of that when choosing who gets to adopt.

• I agree they should have to go through diffrent things to prove they are capable of taking care of a child 

• i dont think any one should be able to adopt a kid. some people are just not fit to adopt a kid and could just abuse the fact the government gives the family money. yes i belive there should be age rane because you should be more resposable when you adops someone

• Thats a good point because you should be resposable when you adopt someone 

• With the adopt stuff I think with any type of children if they do have a home with any parents and they should have it great and good and nothing should be harmful to them all children should get to life a happy life and be happy most of the time in there homes or were they live.

• I don't think that anyone should be able to adopt. I think that people should have to have background checks, interviews, and home visits. Children should not be placed into a home that could be harmful to them or not help them in the long run. I think that you should be 21 to be able to adopt because that is when people have/get jobs and are responsible to take care and pay for a child.

• I think that almost everyone should be able to adopt. When a person or a couple chooses to adopt, they decide to take on full responsibility for that child on their own. I think that in most of the situations, the people who adopt kids are committed. I think that foster care needs to be looked into more because some people do it just for the money (because, unlike adoption, foster parents get paid) so there might be people doing it for the wrong reasons.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker