Should American prisons be changed?

There are many pros and cons of our American prisons as it's a very bad place to be but the cruelty of prisons also makes people not want to go to them. But in some situtions such as framing and getting punished unfairly theres no avoiding prison time. Should we change our prison systems is the big question though. Even if we were able to change our prison systems how many diferent rules would have to be changed and how much would it cost?

Our prison systems are very oftenly not properly watched causing abuse and bullying in prisons. With this happening it could cause people that commited small crimes to be stuck with criminals that commit terrible offenses such as murder. This could cause those criminals to have trauma or even worse become worse crimals themselves having to deal with these worse criminals. As well as people that didn't even commit crimes and got framed. Have to deal with abuse and other issues with their inmates that actually belong in prisons.

Why do we have to have these strict and brutal prisons while other countries have more relaxed prisons and keep inmates safe while making them better people. Such as Norway instead of just throwing there criminals into cages and punishing them they try to turn them into good people and talk to them about their issues and get them help. While our prisons make our people worse and create new crimals. Especially when you give crimals life sentences as they will just cause problems in the prisons.

Our prisons and prisoners are so bad that prisoners oftenly attack gaurds and sometimes cause severe injuries. This shows that sometimes our prisoners deserve to be in prison with the terrible conditions as these conditions cause them to not want to come back or make other people ever want to come in. As well as when our countries crimals commit bad crimes we make sure they go to a bad place as a punishment and if they ever get out they hopefully stay on track and become better people instead of continuing there before crimes. If our prisons punishments were to light our people just wouldnt care about going to prison and would commit crimes and not care and our inmates wouldn't learn.

There are many diferent reasons why are prisons should be changed but theres also many reasons they should be kept as they are or maybe even made more strict with crimals becoming younger and younger in our current ages maybe we should spread our prisons to more strict to keep people from commiting more crimes

Sources

firststepalliance.org/post/norway-prison-system-lessons

news.gallup.com/poll/404048/record-high-perceive-local-crime-increased.aspx

ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/prison-guards-america-inside-story

Questions

Should we make our prison systems more strict?

Should our prison guards have more protection?

Should we give our prisoners more chances and lesser punishments?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I feel like prisons are cruel for people. But, I belive that if they did something cruel, then they should suffer. I feel like if people who got in trouble and didn't even do anything should not have to suffer like the other people. 

• I think Prisons could be more safe but I also think they try to keep it very safe. My dad had to tear of the roof of a prison for work and before they could work, they had to go to the front desk and write down each tool they took in. Everytime they left, they had to have every tool that they took in.

• I think we need to make our prisons more strict so less people will commit crimes. I think our prison guards should be very protected because you never know what a prisoner is going to have up their sleeve. I don't think we need to give them more chances or lesser punishments.

• I definitely think our prisons are not regulated very well. I have heard many stories of people escaping from prison when there really shouldn't be any at all if the guards do their jobs right. I also think guards should have more protection depending on what prison it is, because I have heard stories of prisoners injuring or killing the guards.

• I agree with prisons not being watched properly because there have been news stories in the past and present of prisoners dying because other prisoners beat them to death or make a sharp tool to shank with. The prisons need to be guarded better and more heavily. I believe that the guards should be granted with better weaponry to protect themselves too. There have been prison riots where guards and cops have been killed and it shouldn't have to be like that. They shouldn't have to lose their lives because the prison can't be guarded safely.

• I think that prision condition could be made slightly better but I also feel like people in prision don't deserve a nice place to live and sleep because prision is supposed to be a bad place that people don't wan't to go and I think if they were made better people wouldn't be as scared to go to prision.

• We should make prison less strict. Our guards should use hugs as their weapon. Yes

• I don't know if I agree with this maybe in more minor juvenile detention centers. 

• I think that the prison system could be improved in some ways. Although a sticness and harshness is necesarry to give criminals the punishment they deserve, it is important to see a future in people. It is ecspecially important that we attempt to imrove the charecter of prisinors who will be released before sending them back into the general population. I think that punishments should be kept, aditional oppurtunities given, and better protection for guards.

• I think the prison rules are ok now than before. We should have more protection guards than the ones we have because they need to help and keep prisoners from escaping or doing bullying, ect. I think the prisoners don't deserve more chances because they will doing the samething over and over again.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker