Mr.Bruns is one of few teachers that offers extra credit opportunities to students. Extra credit is a great way for students to increase their grade %. “So if extra credit helps students’ grades, why don’t we have extra credit in every class?” The problem with that question is the fact that many teachers dislike extra credit. Some people believe in extra credit opportunities, while others don’t. So which side of this argument should be supported?

There are many good reasons why Mr.Bruns and other teachers offer extra credit opportunities. For starters, it helps students have better grades and a better chance of passing the class. If you are a student who struggles, you can put in some more time into the class in order to receive extra credit. Mr.Bruns offers note taking, reading History/CWI chapters, ect, in order to receive extra credit. This is a great way to help students in his class. If extra credit opportunities were given out in more classes, it could definitely benefit many students' grades. 

Although extra credit seems too good to be true, there are some cons to it. Many teachers respond to this argument saying that students will focus more time on extra credit, and less time on studying for test and/or doing homework. Students might spend a whole night working on extra credit assignments, and forget about their homework that was assigned, or their test that is coming up. Another argument that is issued is that it is simply not fair to all students. According to marktomforde, “you can't base one student's final grade on homework and exams, and then base another student's final grade on an "extra credit" project. It is simply not fair.”

Mr.Bruns has a cap amount of extra credit that a student can receive every semester. In my opinion, I think this is a great and fair way to give students extra credit opportunities. I believe that every teacher should be required to offer some extra credit opportunities. However, it should be the teacher's choice on how many opportunities he or she is willing to offer. Some students simply just struggle with classes no matter how much they study. So extra credit is a great way to help a student out. Plus, extra credit is a great way of studying for classes too!.

Do you take advantage of extra credit opportunities?

Do you think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to students? If so, should all teachers be required to offer them?

https://stampedenews.net/5519/news/academics/extra-credit-boosts-grades/ 

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/NoExtraCredit.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that all teachers should provide extra credit opportunities. I think it can give people another chance to bring up their grades. I believe that students should be in charge of their grades and should be able to change it. So yes, all teachers should be required to offer extra credit options. 

• I agree. I think that everyone deserves a second chance, even in school. 

• Yes, I defiantly take extra credit when I need it, if i'm panicking that i'm not going to pass a grade then extra credit is a great way to get your grade back. Expecially for students who are super busy and just don't like or understand the subject then extra credit can help them out. I do think extra credit should be offered to students more then it is. People who are in sports aswell also have a benifit with extra credit because if they want to do a sport they have to keep there grade up which is not as easy when you have practice after school and can't get homework done. I think all teachers should atleast require a little bit of extra expecially for the students are struggling.

• I agree with you. Extra credit is a great way to help your grade when you are panicking or struggling. And yes, extra credit needs to be offered more than it is. 

• Personally, I use extra credit opportunities in the final couple months/weeks of the semester if my grade is lower than I'd like. Extra credit is a great way to help students who haven't done the best on tests and/or homework assignments as it gives them a better chance at passing the class. Extra credit should definetly be offered in every class. There are times where students will get pulled aside by counselors or teachers and spoken to about grades. Extra credit could make these occurances less frequent.

• I agree, extra credit in grades is a great way to reduce things that students don't want. For example, getting pulled aside for grades. 

• I use my extra credit quite often because it's a good way to keep my grades up and usually the opportunities given are a pretty easy and fair task to get done. I do believe that teachers should be required to offer extra credit because some students will ask for extra credit opportunities but teachers decline because they either don't have extra credit opportunities or just don't want to give it out because they have to much time on their hands already.

• Same here! I always take advantage of extra credit.

• It's really nice for students to have extra credit opportunities, especially the ones that really need them. I think it has a lot to do with second chances and to be able to have the opportunity to try something again that you failed at before. I usually don't take advantage in most classes just because I don't need to. 

• I agree. Some people really need help with their grades and extra credit is a great way to help.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker