Should 3D-Printed Guns Be allowed?

What are 3D-printed guns? 3D printed guns are privately-made guns that can either be bought as a kit or assembled by using a 3D printer and other accessories. 3D-printed guns have nicknames called “ghost guns” since they have no serial number and have no trace of being bought. US lawmakers are concerned about these guns since anyone can make or purchase a kit without undergoing required checks. The White House also mentions that law enforcement is struggling since most weapons are unmarked and can’t be traced to the owners.

These 3D-printed guns have been in the news for quite some time. On October 2019 an attack in Germany happened and later media coverage reported that the gunman was using a 3D-printed gun. Also in 2016 in Queensland, Australia a drug raid occurred, and they found a 3D-printed submachine gun. After all of this government agencies and companies are trying to reduce and regulate them. Then the Bureau of Industry and Security started to use the export administration regulations restrictions on printed guns since they were taken off the US Munitions List.

Then in 2022, Biden made a final rule which switch the ATF’s definition of a firearm. So 120 days after it gets in the Federal Register. It will get into effect that all firearm manufacturers that buy or build their own guns will need to be marked. Their idea was that if someone commits a crime with a 3D-printed gun they can be identified. 

Do You Think 3D-printed guns be allowed?

Do you think that marking parts will prevent crimes?   

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/biden-issues-new-rule-to-crack-down-on-ghost-guns-3d-printing-industry-responds-208052/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and good summary! You could have replied back a few more times. +5 new topic

• I don't think 3-D-printed guns should be allowed. My reasoning is that if it isn't marked or has tracking numbers, it's hard to locate a killer if they shoot someone with a gun. It sounds unsafe and problematic, and since it's plastic wouldn't it easily break? Making it unsafe to shoot.

• I do not think 3D printing guns should be allowed unless sustainable materials could be used. 3D printed guns could be very dangerous in my opinion. If you want to do it yourself and trust how it will work then I think that is okay as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

• I do not think that printing guns should be allowed.  It makes being able to track guns almost impossible. It also could be very dangerous. Most 3D printing is just melted plastic. If you fire rounds through melted plastic it could come out the side and hit you in the hand.

• I don't think people should be allowed to 3D print guns because they will be able to get away with shootings and stuff way easier. I think that marking parts would help but people can still do it secretly.

• I think that if 3D guns can't be traced back to the owner then they should not be allowed because what would happen after a crime? I feel marking parts could help with being able to identify the gun's owner but I also feel that it will still be difficult because people can most likely find ways around it which is true for everything.

• I think 3D guns should be allowed. They don't do any harm to anyone and they could help with the crime rate maybe, as long as you use them for good and not bad. So I do think they should be allowed but as soon as it starts to be a problem they shouldn't be allowed any more. 

• 3-D guns should be allowed because they are a way to protect and a way to protect others. my people feel that it is a lot safer at home at night, however you never know when someone could break into your house and if that happens I think that we should be able to have 3-D guns to protect us

• 3-D printed guns should be allowed because they are essential to the safety of the people. Many people feel a lot more safe in their home at night when they have some sort of object to protect themselves with in the case of an intruder.

• 3-D printed guns should be allowed because they are a way to protect us and it is also protected by the 2nd amendment. If I would have to use this gun I personally would not use it. I believe that a 3-D gun wouldn't be as affected as a real gun. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker