Schools Install Gun Detection Technology

Schools that have been in recent shootings are going to install devices which they describe as "a smoke alarm for gun fire detection." One of the schools they installed the device in was in Methuen, Massachusetts. It was originally developed for the military to help detect where gunfire was coming from so soldiers could shoot back, its use now is to show in what room gunfire is coming from. Also when the detectors hear gunshots they send messages to the authorities. They have installed 60 of the detectors in the school. The company making these is also installing them in California, Virginia, and at airports. In a photo shown below it shows the size of the device. Hopefully this device will help give authorities enough time to save more lives.

shooter detection systems

A picture of how small the device actually is.

Link

Do you find this necessary? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done and good topic!

• With all the gun problems and shootings it is a good add on and should be kept
  • I feel like these detectors will detect this when it's already too late. Because if it detects the gun fire, which would mean after shots were fired, then if it was at school that its most likely too late and people are already in danger/dead. I don't feel like it is going to really stop people. 

• Yes because peoples lives could be saved with this new device and will prevent bad events from happening

• I think it is a good idea because it will lower the number of school shootings, and it should be used in more schools.

• I find it not all that necessary because if someone within the school hears a gun shot they can still call the police. The odds of the gun man having so many people that they can have eyes on eveyrone is slim to none

• I think it's a good thing that they are installing these it could help in the future if shooting would happen and save life's.

• I think it is a good idea to install these in school. they could use this in more buildings also. I hope it works and help save lives.

• I don't think it is necessary because, it doesn't go off until a gun is fired.  So many people could still get hurt because the police get their notification after the gunshot is fired.  So many people could get hurt while the police are on their way to the scene. I think it is a waste of money, they can get a scanner to put their bags on like in airports, and go through a medal detector or  something.  

• A scanner would cost a school a lot more money though. Even though the scanner may save more lives by spotting the gun before anything happens, the scanners may break the schools budget. It is a good idea but more expensive.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker