San Francisco's Final Gun Shop Closing for Good

High Bridge Arms is the last gun store to be opened in San Francisco, but now it is set to close on October 31st of this year. Steve Alcairo, High Bridge Arms manager, and Andy Takahashi, High Bridge Arms owner, say they can no longer keep the business open due to the city’s increased gun control regulations and outspoken negativity. The breaking point for Alcairo was this past summer when a politician of the area proposed a new law that would require them to video record every single gun sale and send a weekly report of ammunition sales to the police. The store does not want to make their customers feel like they are doing something wrong when buying a gun is protected in the constitution.

The announcement was released by Alcairo on Facebook in mid-September and has caused an overflowing amount of sympathy and anger online from gun supporters. The store walls are becoming bare as many are rushing in for going-out-of-business sales along with t-shirts celebrating their achievement of being the last gun store in all of San Francisco..

Alcairo grew up nearby the store and states that he is very disappointed and angry with San Francisco. He does not understand why the city that defended gay marriage and medical marijuana will not support him.

1. What are your thoughts on gun control?

2. Do you agree with High Bridge Arms decision for shutting their store?

I think gun control is a good thing and a bad thing. On one hand, having more gun regulations could prevent more public shootings and other crimes, but on the other hand, having more gun regulations could provoke people to buy the guns to show their freedom and respect for the constitutional rights. I can understand why High Bridge Arms was closing their store. They were not receiving much support, and it is hard to continue to do something when so many people are against it.

Click here to see the story.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great timely topic choice and well done!!

• I think we should definitely do more to eliminate the misuse use of guns, like stricter background checks, no private gun sales, and mental health checks of gun purchasers. Even though I support the government's thinking of trying to do whatever possible to prevent mass shootings like Oregon or Sandy Hook, I honestly don't think that banning assault rifles or limiting ammunition put into a gun will do the amount of good Obama wants it to, for if people are far gone enough to think about killing innocent people, they will find other methods of doing the same damage or even more(whether it'd be a knife, bomb, poisonous gas, etc). There will just be a bigger problem of buying illegal guns and it will put gun issues at an entire different level than where they're at now. Even though stricter regulations may prevent some shootings from happening, I don't think it will have the desired effect to marginally reduce the mass shootings here in America. I also understand the store's choice to shut down, because if they weren't being given any support and were being constantly questioned by the police department I could imagine it would be difficult to maintain that kind of business.

• I agree with you completely! If people are mindset on killing or doing harm to others, they will just find a way around it. I do not think that the gun control issues will ever be "solved", but with stricter regulations, we can make shootings decrease in numbers. I think it would be very hard to maintain a business where you are not supported by those who are around you, especially when they can be your potential customers.

• I think we dont need guns look at australia. They have no guns and havent had a massacre since. It makes sense for them to close when the government starts regulating your goods it really affects your profits. 

• I agree with you a lot. If other countries can do fine with more gun restrictions, why can't we? I don't think that we should completely eliminate guns, but I do think that we can definitely survive with stronger gun laws. 

• I think you need a licence to get a gun and should go through a more deep background and mental heath check. I see something the other day that said something like you don't take our cars away when people drive drunk so why take our guns away when people commit crimes. And I thought it was a great point. I don't know anything honestly about guns but I still don't think you should take them all away.

• I think that you need a lisance to get a gun but I think that people shouldent just take the guns away. Plus gun laws dont really work for some people. Those people will get them illigaly and they dont really care about it.

• I agree that gun consumers need to have a license to purchase guns, but I think if we have stronger background checks and more options for those with mental illnesses, that could also potentially help.

• I know we always hear about the shootings that occur and how many people were killed, but we never hear how many people were saved by a good Samaritan packing a weapon. It would certainly put a twist on the publics mind if they knew how many people were saved by other's carrying LEGALLY. Do I believe that the gun store was right to shut down? I don't think that it was wrong to shut down nor would it be right to shut down. I think that the reason the gun store was closed is because it wasn't making any money.

• I think you have a great point. Guns are not only the cause of deaths, but can also save people's lives. The store owner's claim they shut down because of all the vocal negativity and regulations that the locals were pushing against them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker