San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you because I don't know how I would be able to react if I was in a situation like that. I think that it is a good idea to have someone ready if something like this would cause other students to do something bad. 

• I would have done my job, I would have thought about the situation longer since it was a child. But, if I am doing my job that's what needs to be done. I think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team because if this were to happen again there may not be another death. 

• I would have done as they did. It is common protocol to ask them to drop their gun. If someone is shooting at me I would immediately start to defend my self and shoot back.  I believe it is a good idea to have a crisis respond team at the schools because then if something like that happened again it would help prevent the extreme measures being taken. 

• I would've been very scared and would've protected myself because I don't think the police knew it was a BB gun. Yes because if their are retaliations against the police and riots then that would be the place where the bad things will happen.

• I agree with you because how do you know that it was a BB gun. Sometimes  you can't tell the difference just by looks. I think it's good to have someone ready to go to the school, but it could be bad if there is nobody ready to react from a situation. 

• If I was the police men, I don't know what I would've done. I wouldn't want to hurt or shoot the kid so I would try to eliminate the shooting the best I could. I think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team to make sure nothing else happens. 

• If I was a police person and in this exact situation I think I would have reacted the same way because you never know whether or not the kid had a real gun. I think that it is a great idea because it's a safety thing.

• It would be really difficult to speculate on what I would do because I could say that I would shoot him but it is a kid. I think it is a good idea because a school should be a safe place and that is where most children are at the same time. 

• I don't think I would be able to to shoot a kid in this situation, or in any situation. I would never be able to even raise a gun in a direction of a kid. I think they should take some action in the protection of the students, but a crisis team at the school at all times would maybe cause more damage then good. 

• I don't know what I would have done because it would be really difficult to just shoot a kid that really had no clue what he was doing. I think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at times but if you had one all the time then I feel like they would become less helpful. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker