riots in south Africa cause H&M to close stores

the clothing company H&M has closed its stores for the time being in South Africa for the satiety of its employees due to riots because of a picture of a black model wearing a "coolest monkey in the jungle". the people of south Africa say that it is not going to be tolerated. one man said that none of the people of south Africa regret doing it and that the company needs to be shut down and leave.

This is very bad and odd for a big company to do because black people used to be called monkeys in a racist way. 

1)Would you riot if you saw something like this and new the background? If i knew the background i would not riot but i would not be happy with H&M because somebody must have known what it meant.

2)If you were his mother what would you think? I would not think much of it because it would be just one of the many outfits they modeled. and thats the same way his mother thinks.

link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Be sure to comment more frequently and be sure to proofread to eliminate errors. You summary is also a bit brief. -5 late.

• I wouldn't riot, but I would definitely try to stop the company from doing something so racist and degrading. I think his mom probably wouldn't even know about it until after it already blew up simply because that was probably not the only outfit he modeled. 

• I wouldn't riot from this outline of work but I wouldn't be happy with H&M becuase to me I find this racist. I think the store would also know this a racial slur. I wpuld be upset but get over it becuase it's just a tshirt design.

• If it was a problem that kept reoccuring and wasnt going to improve then I would riot. I would be kind've worried about what he had wore but not terribly worried the first time because he probably wore other clothes as well

• I dont think i would riot because i wouldnt think anything of it to me it just looks like a cute sweatshirt on a kid. If i was his mother i wouldnt do anything i would just think he looked cute and if he liked it its all that matters.

• 1. I do not know, I think it was an accident and that no one in H and M was looking to be a racist, because they do not want to lose money and obviously doing that would happen.
    2. If I was the mother, I would not have thought about it, because I do not think I would read all the shirts and outfits that my son will wear.

• I can see how people wouldnt know how it happened. and thats a very good point about losing money and not haveing as much buisness. aswell i can understand your point about not reading all the outifts.

• No I wouldn't riot if someone made an ethnic slur against me. I am of a race that does get slandered upon so I do believe I know what I'm talking about even though I don't look it. I honestly think people are too sensitive these days about stuff like this.

If I was his mother I wouldn't think anything of it.

• I as well wouldn't be too happy about this picture...The company should realize that the word "monkey" has been used in derogatory ways in the past toward African Americans. It should have crossed their minds, serioiusly. The company needs to apologize! If I were the model's mother, I would be very upset at the company...I can see why some people rioted. 

• I don't think I would riot because I wouldn't think anything about it, just a normal kid modeling a sweatshirt for a clothing store. If I were his mother I wouldn't care much let alone say anything because it is just a picture of a kid modeling a sweatshirt, and maybe he just happen to really like monkeys, each kid likes different things. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker