Pros & Cons Of Teachers Carrying Guns In School

Do you think teachers should be able to carry guns in school? Over the years the number of school shootings has majorly increased. The only thing that’s been able to protect schools is the police, and they cannot always get there in time. In America, 33 states allow teachers to carry guns. But, most people are not comfortable with schools carrying guns. 

First off, if teachers were given guns in school, it would give them a chance to fight back. It could reduce the amount of deaths and injuries caused by school shootings. Rather than having to wait for the police, the teachers could react immediately and protect themselves, along with the students. Once other people find out schools carry guns, it could limit the amount of shootings, knowing that there are armed teachers in the building. 

Giving guns to teachers puts them and the students in possible danger. That includes the teachers shooting themselves or the kids in the classroom. This could be done by accident, or even on purpose, depending on the situation. Even after all the training needed to allow teachers to carry guns, research shows that teachers would not achieve the same accuracy with every shot and would likely hit something or someone other than the target/shooter. Students could also gain access to the guns of the teachers who didn’t hide them well enough or mishandled them. 

I can see both sides of this topic. Carrying guns can be dangerous but can be used in the right situation, depending on the circumstance.

Do you think teachers should be allowed to carry guns?

Would you feel safe if you knew your teacher carried a gun?

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-teachers-think-about-carrying-guns-at-school-in-charts/2023/06#:~:text=Advocates%20argue%20that%20having%20armed,wait%20for%20police%20to%20respond

https://flaglerlive.com/arming-teachers/#gsc.tab=0 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think they should have guns in school because it is dangerous. Sure it would be useful in a school schooting, but it could create an even worse problem. I don't think I would feel safe if I knew a teacher had a gun.

• I feel like teachers should be able to carry we have a right to carry and there things that are put in place so some people cant get guns not saying they cant geth them another way but that happens every day to people in the public. i feel teachers should be able to carry and i feel like us kids should be able to carry shotguns in our trucks.

• I think teachers carrying guns in school can be helpful in dangerous situations but they shouldn't be able to always carry the gun on them. They should have a place to put them in their class like a safe so students can't just grab the gun. 

• I agree, I think if teachers had guns they should have to put them in a safe place.

• I think that they should be able to have access to a gun if something dangerous comes up. It would definitely have to be kept somewhere safe and only accessable to the teachers so no one else will be able to just take it. I think I would feel safer since there is protection for students if it is needed. 

• I think they should be allowed a gun in there desk just in case there is an imergensy and they need it. I would be a little special depending on which kinda gun it is but I would feel safer in that class knowing we are some what protected.

• I agree, I think that they should allow them for emergensies.

• I think that teachers carrying a gun would not be a bad idea. If there is a school district that has had threats realating to gun violence and gun cases, then I would encourage teachers carrying. I think that incase of a school shooting the situation would be much more under control. I do think that more students would be more cautious of teachers. 

• I believe teachers should be allowed to have guns in their classrooms or on them throughout the day. It would make the school safer if these teachers would need to use them. However, a teacher might use the gun for reasons that are required for them. 

• I agree, I think it would make the school safer.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker