Pros & Cons Of Teachers Carrying Guns In School

Do you think teachers should be able to carry guns in school? Over the years the number of school shootings has majorly increased. The only thing that’s been able to protect schools is the police, and they cannot always get there in time. In America, 33 states allow teachers to carry guns. But, most people are not comfortable with schools carrying guns. 

First off, if teachers were given guns in school, it would give them a chance to fight back. It could reduce the amount of deaths and injuries caused by school shootings. Rather than having to wait for the police, the teachers could react immediately and protect themselves, along with the students. Once other people find out schools carry guns, it could limit the amount of shootings, knowing that there are armed teachers in the building. 

Giving guns to teachers puts them and the students in possible danger. That includes the teachers shooting themselves or the kids in the classroom. This could be done by accident, or even on purpose, depending on the situation. Even after all the training needed to allow teachers to carry guns, research shows that teachers would not achieve the same accuracy with every shot and would likely hit something or someone other than the target/shooter. Students could also gain access to the guns of the teachers who didn’t hide them well enough or mishandled them. 

I can see both sides of this topic. Carrying guns can be dangerous but can be used in the right situation, depending on the circumstance.

Do you think teachers should be allowed to carry guns?

Would you feel safe if you knew your teacher carried a gun?

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-teachers-think-about-carrying-guns-at-school-in-charts/2023/06#:~:text=Advocates%20argue%20that%20having%20armed,wait%20for%20police%20to%20respond

https://flaglerlive.com/arming-teachers/#gsc.tab=0 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It should be a thing becuase it could help out during a school attack but also make people more safer knowing they are protected. but it should be taken seriously if it would happen, id probably feel safer.

• I find this very sad. the fact that humanity is so far gone that we even have to consider this. Our homes should be a safe place, and our schools even safer. We shouldn't even have to worry about this happening to us at all. I would not want to live in a place where the safety of our children is in question. But here we are. So I would, under the circumstances, feel safer if our teachers had guns.

• I think teachers should be allowed to carry guns. I believe this because like most other citizens, self defense is necessary. However, the teachers need to be trained and licenced, and the gun should be hidden from all students in a secure location. I would feel more safe if my teacher had the option to protect us if they would need to. 

• I agree, I think if teachers were able to carry guns they need to be trained.

• I think some teachers should be able to carry guns but not all of them. I think the teacher should have to have a military experience or a class on how to use a gun and when the right time would be to use it. I would feel safer if some teachers had guns in their classrooms.

• I personally dont think teachers should be able to carry guns in a school. I could some what see it being okay if the teacher was trustworthy and had gone through a process to be able to carry one in school, but in todays world you never know about people anymore.

• I think it depends on the state that you are living in since there is probably more states that are getting school shootings then other states. But if you live in a dangerous part and school shooting threats or the actual thing is fairly common then yes they should be allowed to carry guns. I wouldn't feel safe if a teacher carried a gun but if I didn't know that they had one I would be more comfortable.

• I do not think teachers should be allowed to carry guns in school. That can be a crazy safety hazard as a student could take it away very easily. There is no reason a teacher should even want to carry a gun. I would not feel safe if I knew a teacher was carrying a gun.

• I don't think that teachers should be allowed to carry guns. There are bad teachers--we know this--and there is bound to be a teacher who gets mad at an annoying student and ends up hurting that kid. Teachers would probably end up abusing the fact that they have a gun to get kids to do what they want instead of using it in an emergency. If people want more security in schools then I think that having more officers or security guards would be a better fix.

• I dont think teachers should carry guns during school hours. If I knew my teacher had a gun I would probably follow the rules.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker