Problems of Immigration in the US

The United States has a long and complicated history with immigration that spans several centuries. In the early years of the country, immigration was generally welcomed and encouraged, with many immigrants coming from Europe to start new lives in America. However, as immigration continued to increase, so did concerns about the impact it was having on American society. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, laws were passed that restricted immigration from certain countries and imposed strict quotas on the number of immigrants allowed into the country.

In the mid-20th century, immigration patterns began to shift, with more immigrants coming from Latin America and Asia. This led to new challenges and debates over issues such as illegal immigration, border security, and the impact of immigration on the American economy and society. In recent years, the issue of immigration has become even more divisive, with debates over issues such as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, sanctuary cities, and the Trump administration's travel ban.

Despite the challenges and controversies surrounding immigration in the United States, immigrants continue to come to the country in large numbers, driven by a desire for better opportunities and a better life for themselves and their families. The history of immigration in the United States is a complex and ongoing story that continues to shape the country and its people to this day.

https://www.kff.org/report-section/understanding-the-u-s-immigrant-experience-the-2023-kff-la-times-survey-of-immigrants-findings/#:~:text=Even%20with%20high%20levels%20of,with%20annual%20incomes%20under%20%2440%2C000). 

https://www.cato.org/policy-analysis/brief-history-us-immigration-policy-colonial-period-present-day 

Do you think immigration in the US is a problem?

What do you think we should do about immigration?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice Adam. I would like to see more of your opinions within your summary. You didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• I think immigration is a good thing and always will be, but there are always exeptions. I don't think we should ban immigration or anything, but I do think we need to have regulations so that we don't let dangrous people in.

• I think there are too many illegal immigrants coming into the United States. But if they are coming into the US legally then it is fine but there are too many illegal immigrants. I think we need to be a lot more strict with immigrants.

• I don't think immigration is a problem unless it was bad people coming into the US. There's not much that the US could do to stop them.

• I think immigration is fine as long as people are coming in legally. If they earn their right to be a citizen than it's completely fine. To me, if they can help us be a better nation than I have nothing against that. But I don't think it's right for them to come in illegally because we don't know who they are and if they are safe.

• imigration is sometimes a problem for not just usa is a problems for so many countries like mexico,guatemala,canad,china,japon etc.but people think that immigration is  a problem 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker