Popularity Contest

The history of friendships what is the meaning of a true friend? When we were kids we would talk to each other all the time but yet again there were bullies and because of that we became rude and mean to each other we split into groups. There were the jocks the boys or girls that played it ruff and didn’t care if an outsider wanted to join in and play the games. The popular kids were the ones who didn’t have to try to get someone's attention. The wanna-be girls or boys. These kids wanted to be a part of the cool groups. The bullies were the kids who bullied others because of the way they looked, what they wore, what they liked, who their parents were, and who they were. Then there were the loners or the quiet kids. If you weren’t a part of one of these groups or didn’t have a friend in one you weren't part of the cool crowd you weren’t known. If you were bullied, or the bad kid everyone would say things about you. 

The jocks came about in 1952 its short for jockstrap. It means the “supporter of the male genital organs,” or in most places an athletic man. A jockette in 1948 was a female originally a female disk jockey.  The popular kids were always based on their social status and whether or not they were good-looking. It was also whether or not you kept up with trends. The wannabes are the kids who want it and want all of the social status. 

Questions:

Why do you think that we do this? 

What do you think our world will come to because of this?

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/420090/origin-of-wannabe-and-its-precursors

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/blog/detail/findings-a-daily-roundup/popularity-contest

https://www.etymonline.com/word/jock#:~:text=jock%20(n.),an%20athletic%20female%20(1979).

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you on this one. As we get older things change and people change. As we get older we figure out who we are as people and we get categorized into different groups based on our hobbies and the way we act and dress. We all just need to be kind and accepting of everyone no matter if they're different. 

• I think people do this as a way to make themselves better then others so they feel better about themselves. Im not sure what our world will come to but i know it won't effect the world as much as other things might. 

• I think that we are just conditioned to think we need to fit in. I think that no matter what we do to try to stop it some people will always be the bullies/popular kids.

• I think that people just want to fit in.

• Cause kids are weird. This was a thing since school first started, so our world came to teh way it is today.

• No

• i think that we do this becuase it make us feel better about ourselves. It also prob ally has something to do about the human brain. I feel that even cavemen probally had something like this as well. This won't end the world or anything. It will remain the same.

• I think a lot of kids try in fit in rather than being in a popularity contest. I think kids have a fear of missing out or not having any friends. I think our world will not change because kids have been mean for a long time. 

• I think that some people get get along with people to "Fit in". Not as much a popularity contest, but just to fit in with others and not be left out. Some kids also look up to people who are more popular because many people like them. There is nothing wrong with admiration. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker