Popularity Contest

The history of friendships what is the meaning of a true friend? When we were kids we would talk to each other all the time but yet again there were bullies and because of that we became rude and mean to each other we split into groups. There were the jocks the boys or girls that played it ruff and didn’t care if an outsider wanted to join in and play the games. The popular kids were the ones who didn’t have to try to get someone's attention. The wanna-be girls or boys. These kids wanted to be a part of the cool groups. The bullies were the kids who bullied others because of the way they looked, what they wore, what they liked, who their parents were, and who they were. Then there were the loners or the quiet kids. If you weren’t a part of one of these groups or didn’t have a friend in one you weren't part of the cool crowd you weren’t known. If you were bullied, or the bad kid everyone would say things about you. 

The jocks came about in 1952 its short for jockstrap. It means the “supporter of the male genital organs,” or in most places an athletic man. A jockette in 1948 was a female originally a female disk jockey.  The popular kids were always based on their social status and whether or not they were good-looking. It was also whether or not you kept up with trends. The wannabes are the kids who want it and want all of the social status. 

Questions:

Why do you think that we do this? 

What do you think our world will come to because of this?

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/420090/origin-of-wannabe-and-its-precursors

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/blog/detail/findings-a-daily-roundup/popularity-contest

https://www.etymonline.com/word/jock#:~:text=jock%20(n.),an%20athletic%20female%20(1979).

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think a lot of high schoolers and middle schoolers prioritize being popular and well-liked, and some may do things that are unnecessary or out of line to get there. I think that it definitely has gotten worse over the years and people change things about themselves to be popular.

• I think most kid's goals in high school is to be popular or well liked, so kids may do anything they can to get like that. That could explain why many people try to stay with trends, because they want to be well known and seen as cool.

• I dont thing that we should do this because of it and having problems and, . I don't think the world will end because of this because maybe people will realize that it is fine if you are not as good as other people cause everyone is different from eachother.

• I think that people do this because people think their higher than everyone and can do anything they want. I think that popularity has gotten worse over the years and a lot of people just strive to be the top person in the school and change themselves. 

• I think we all do that based on our interests, I don't think a shy and lonely person likes to hang around popular athletes. I don't think anything bad will happen but it deffenitly could. We formed a type of "division" but I don't think this will cause serious damage in the future, it seems that we will always do it.

• I think that the reason that people do this is so that they can be higher than everyone and make them feel better about it. People tend to feel worse when they are worst at something then all the other people doing better. I don't think the world will end because of this because maybe people will realize that it is fine if you are not as good as other people cause everyone is different from eachother.

• I think people do this because they think too much of what other people think. Some people do things because they are peer pressured or they just want to impress them to try to fit in. I don't think our world will come to end because of this because usually people will grow out of this phase and be kinder, but some are forever stuck in this mindset. 

• All around the world it is most people's goal to be higher than everyone else. They want to be more popular, better looking, more athletic. People want to be at a higher social status, I think that people join these groups because of who they want to be, they don't want to be stuck with the people that are at the bottom of the popularity board.

• I do think that we did start to do it becuase there are a lot of people that go throught the fraze like when we like to be nice to everyone and then we do go thorugh the fraxe of us getting angry/ mad and then we dont want to go and talk to anyone or just wanted to be by yourself for awile till we start tio get way happier and then go say sorry to whoever been mean to the other people

• I think people do this because of their egos and stuff but I think people think of it way to much. I think that their is a group of people that don't care about popularity so atleast the whole world won't act like this.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker