Pepsi's miltary

Pepsi getting a military from Russia sounds like something from a wild story, but it's not true. In the 1990s, after the Cold War ended, Pepsi had a deal with the Soviet Union to trade soda for Russian warships. The deal was unique, known as the "Pepsi Navy" deal. Instead of paying with cash, the Soviet Union traded warships for Pepsi because they didn't have enough money.

This deal happened because the Soviet Union wanted to get Western goods, but they didn't have enough money. So, they offered Pepsi some of their navy ships instead. Pepsi agreed, and for a brief time, they had the sixth-largest navy in the world! But Pepsi didn't keep the ships; they sold them for scrap metal and used the money to expand their business in Russia. Even though it might sound strange, this deal between Pepsi and Russia happened and became a quirky part of history. It shows how sometimes, unexpected things can happen in business and international relations. But don't worry, Pepsi didn't get a military from Russia!

The "Pepsi Navy" deal was a big deal at the time because it showed how businesses can find creative solutions to unusual situations. Pepsi took a risk by agreeing to this trade, but it turned out to be profitable for them. It also helped improve relations between the United States and the Soviet Union during a time when tensions were easing after the end of the Cold War. While Pepsi didn't keep the ships, the story of how they briefly had a military from Russia became a fun and interesting tale that people still talk about today. It's a reminder that sometimes in business, you have to think outside the box to succeed.

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2022/02/09/how-pepsi-came-to-own-a-soviet-naval-fleet/ 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/27/pepsi-navy-soviet-ussr/ 

Do you think that it was a good idea for Pepsi?

Would you have kept the ships if you were Pepsi?

would you accept the deal if you were Pepsi?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and summary Kiron! The issue is you posterd this a day late and you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• What Pepsi did was really risky but they knew that it would have been a good idea to try it and they did. I would have kept the Pepsi on the shup so that I would know that it would be safe and not lost. I would have more than likely accepted the deal and just hope that it goes good and nothing bad happens.

• What pepsi did was kind of a bold move. It was very risky. I think I would have kept the ships just so I know that they would've be safe.  I would most likely of accept the deal and prayed it went well for me.

• I think it couldve went worse but Pepsi knew it would be a good idea to try. If I was Pepsi I would keep the ships so I know that it is good and safe. I would accept the deal and hope it goes good. 

• I think that this was risky, but in the long run, Pepsi knew it would help them. If I was Pepsi, I would have kept the ships just to be safe and secure. However, if a deal like the Soviet Union had came along, I would probably take it and hope for the best.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker