On January 25th, Friday Leaving Neverland, a documentary over 2 of Michael Jackson's alleged sexual abuse cases was premiered. Police officers guarded the theater for protesters while healthcare stood in the lobby, offering support to the upset audience members. James Safechuck and Wade Robson claim they had suffered sexual abuse of Michael Jackson as children. Years earlier during a 1993 case of alleged sexual abuse brought up by another boy, both men testified on Jackson's behalf saying he had never done anything inappropriate. Now in the present, they both say they lied in love and loyalty to the pop star, but now having children of their own they felt obligated to tell the truth and reach out to others who had been through similar experiences. Many after watching the documentary said they were disgusting and "already gonna need 400 showers to ever feel clean again". Many fans were extremely angered and continuously defended Jackson. Many argued if it was really reliable to believe a documentary based on allegations from 20 years ago that were dismissed in court or to even believe someone who says they've been lying for 20 years. Others were touched and believe the creators can do so much more good than Michael Jackson could ever. The documentary offered no money but was said to possibly be released on HBO in March. 

Do you think it's fair to accuse someone of sexual abuse who isn't present to defend themselves? It truly isn't fair to accuse someone of such a horrible crime and even make a documentary over it when they aren't present to defend themselves in the first place. It mostly angered fans, but I do believe they still have the right to share their own stories and reach out to others.

What are your opinions on these allegations? Do you think you'd believe their story? Slightly I do believe their stories, although I obviously haven't been able to watch the documentary yet. He had been under the suspicion and almost charged with a number of related cases so its not implausable.

Did James and Wade do a good thing by coming out are telling their apparent story? Why or why not? Whether or not the allegations are true, there are still audience members who were very touched and lifted. If it really is the truth people deserve to know who the person they looked up to really is. Perhaps it isn't true and these men are slandering the name of a true innocent artist. FeelsBadMan.

Michael Jackson Documentary Leaving Neverland Described Disturbing

Michael Jackson Documentary Sundance Backlash

Leaving Neverland Michael Jackson

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good story choice and well done!

•  I also think is unfair to do such accusations when the person is not even her to defend herself; it is really frustrating for the family, friends and fans that don't believe in those things, but can't do much to prevent it or even defend the accused. I don't believe it totally because I don't understand why they decided to say that right now, when Michael Jackson is not even here anymore.

• I think it's unfair because in court both sides should have fair defenses and accusing someone who can't even fight for their side isn't right even if its for a crime like sexual abuse. I'm not sure if I'd believe their stories because I know I shouldn't believe Michael Jackson wouldn't do anything wrong since he's so famous but I know he could've done it and I know the guys might be trying to get attention but they might be doing it to share their stories. I think it was a good thing because it could give them some sense of peace and community. 

• 1.) No because this person who is accusing him for something he most guaranteed he didnt do, also if he did really do this to that person then why didn't they bring it up when he was still alive that way he would have some sort of punishment. 

2.) I mean not really because something that might have happened at any point of any time could have made these people mad and want to get revenge, also yes because all of this could of happened before he was famuos.

3.) Yes and not becasue once again something could of happened at any point to make them say what had happened. 

• I think it's fair if they actually commited sexual abuse, but it they didn't then I don;t think it is. I do believe their story, but that's just one side of it and no one has heard the other side. I think they did a good job coming out because most people are scared of it and what might thier abuser do to them.

• The person they are accusing should be there to defend themselves and tell their side of the story. I find their allegations somewhat hard to believe because of how long it has been since they claimed this has happened. I think they should have kept this to themselves because we will never find out if this is true or not, and they are making Michael Jackson look bad for something he possibly didn't even do.

• I agree that it isn't fair to accuse someone of something this major when they aren't around to defend themselves because something like this can darastically change people's veiw on a person. 

• It isn't fair to accuse them of this when they aren't alive anymore, but with all this evidence... how could you not believe it? His most devoted fans will do what it takes to convince us that it isn't true, but these accusations were present when he was alive too... in 2004 he was accused of this same thing. They searched his house too and found a lot of terrible stuff, which is only even more evidence. I believe it because I've seen all the evidence and I know a lot about it because these accusations have been present for more than 15 years, and more and more evidence is surfacing. They made the right choice to come out about this because it's a lot of weight to keep on yourself, and it helps with the case. It may not be true, but with all this evidence even from the early 2000s... how could you not believe it? People are heartbroken to hear this because he really was one of the greatest music artists of all time, and to hear all these allegations is just sad. People were afraid to come out about it years ago because it just wasn't something you did... you kept it to yourself. Different movements have definitely encouraged people to speak up and that is probably why they are just now saying something.

• I find it very inappropriate to release a documentary and accuse someone who is dead. Why didn’t these women say something years ago? I understand they may be afraid to speak out about it, but now they are just seeking money and fame. 

• It really isn't fair when they are not even here to defend their case.

Most of the time I don't just because of how I used to look up to him musically as a kid. 

I don't know maybe they should take a lie detector test to see if it's true because I don't see it when there isn't a full case just accusations.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker