Oklahoma Law Specifies More On Rape Law

Oklahoma lawmakers are trying to close a “loophole” in the laws about rape. In 2014, a 17-year-old boy was accused of sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl. They charged him with first degree rape and forcible oral sodomy. The rape charge was dropped? Why? Simple because she was drunk (4 times the legal limit).

The charge was dropped based on the wording of the state’s law which did not mention unconsciousness or intoxication. Rep. Scott Biggs said, “I am horrified by the idea that we would allow these depraved rapists to face a lower charge simply because the victim is unconscious.” They are changing the law. People that are part of this decision are saying things like, “They don’t believe the decisions the victims makes should determine whether or not an assailant should face criminal liability.”

Read the full story here.

Questions:

1. What is your opinion on this story? If a victim is intoxicated is it okay that she got sexually assaulted/raped?

2. Are you surprised that this law didn’t already have something mentioned about being intoxicated?

My Opinion: I think that this is not okay at all. It is absolutely disgusting that people can get away with rape. It’s even more disgusting that they can get off the hook for doing this just because the law doesn’t specify it. I am surprised that the law didn’t already have something like this mentioned and I am glad they are fixing it.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Tara!

• My opinion is that the lawmakers should have thought about that in the first place. No, because it was not their choice it was forced upon them no matter how they were it has to be okay-ed by both people in order for it not to be rape along with them being of the legal age of 18 and all of this and that so it really doesn't effect anyone. Yes quite frankly I'm very surprised.

• I don't care if someone is intoxicated, on drugs, or in any other condition. That doesn't give anybody the right to rape or sexually assault a person, no matter what they were wearing. (just had to throw that in there)

Laws regarding sexual assault surprise me all the time, so this one doesn't either. It's not something that's taken seriously enough by anyone.

• Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration perpetrated against a person without that person's consent. 

That is the legal definition of Rape. Given that she was unconscious, she couldn't give consent. Which is where most rape cases come from. It's not okay. Rape is never, in any way, shape, or form, okay. EVER. It's something that should never happen but it does. Yes I am really surprised that there wasn't something in the law about intoxication or being high.  

• I think there is no reason to do something like this. If she was intoxicated that doesn't mean it was okay for her to get sexual assaulted. I feel so bad for her and the family because what happened with the charges. I'm surprised that the law didn't mention it.

• This case is popular, just because she was intoxicated does not mean that it was okay for her to get sexual asssaulted. If someone knows they have been drinking then you should leave them alone and find them a ride home or something. yes i am surprised that the law did not mention it but drinking does have a big influence on your actions 

• Just because she was intoxicated does not mean it as okay for her to get sexually assaulted. That is so terrible that the charges were dropped. Yes I am, when someone is intoxicated that makes them have even less control than if they weren't- making it even easier for the guy to rape her. 

• Being intoxicated doesn't make rape any less illegal and it is a terrible thing that people are being let off the hook because they were drunk. I think that if you do something illegal you should be charged with it even if your were intoxicated because it is still wrong and your choice. I am surprised because how could they allow that to let someone off the hook. 

• I agree I think it's awful people are being let off the hook because they were intoxicated. It is still wrong and awful! Glad they are going to trying to fix loophole! 

• I don't think being intoxicated makes anything okay to do. It is awful that if someone is intoxicated they could experience something like this without knowing anything. I think that the law was more of a general thing and people thought that it would cover a event like this.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker