Ohio Train Derailment

Ohio Train Derailment

On February 3, 2023, a train in East Palestine, Ohio derailed with toxic chemicals and materials. This is a serious problem that is going to be hard to fix. People from around the area are being asked to evacuate. There has been reports it is in small creeks and streams. The accident, which resulted in no injuries or fatalities, is under investigation. The Environmental Protection Agency and the National Transportation Safety Board has had several lawsuits filed since Feb. 7. The train derailed because of a rail car axle failed from a mechanical defect.

The derailment damaged about 50 carts, 11 of which contained hazardous materials. Five carts contained vinyl chloride, a known carcinogen, which safety crews vented and burned to prevent an explosion. Around 3,500 fish died in creeks near the accident. Killing wildlife is very dangerous for our ecosystem. Taking away wildlife is hazardous to us also. Not having drinking water is a very serious problem.

After the train derailed on Feb. 3, a fire broke out and about 50 of the 150 cars were derailed or damaged. The NTSB (The National Transportation Safety Board) said that the train’s crew members received an alarm indicating a mechanical issue before an emergency brake went on. I personally think this was an accident from the bus driver. I think the rails were old and messed up. Ohio hasn't been the only place where there has been a train derailment. In Arizona there has been one with toxic materials also.

Do you think this is a serious problem and why?

Would you evacuate your town if this happened?

Source(s) : https://www.usatoday.com/story/graphics/2023/02/17/train-derailment-ohio-explained-graphics/11251530002/ : https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/ohio-train-derailment-chernobyl.html : https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/02/15/ohio-train-derailment-toxic-chemicals/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Jozef! Be sure to reply back on three different days.

• I believe that this is a very serious problem because we don't know how much those chemicals affected the people that were around when it happened. I personally would probably evacuate just because I think it is the safest option to avoid any medical problems that it may cause.

•  I think this is definitely a serious problem. Considering there could be major long term affect on the people in that town and surrounding areas. I think atleast the town should be evacuated and I think I would probably evacuate my town if this happened.

• Yeah I just can't imagine what those people are going through right now. The long-term effect could be hazardous to a lot of those people. There also has been other reports of toxic spills around the country.

• I think that this is a problem because if the gas has any long-lasting effects, they might not be able to live there anymore. I would evacuate just in case something bad happens with the chemicals such as breathing problems or explosions. How would they get water to shower? They only water they can really get is bottled water, and showering with bottled water just doesn't work,

• I think the train derailment is a very big problem for the citizens of Palestine, Ohio, and will continue to be. The effects of the toxic chemicals that were leaked can be seen in the environment. I would not feel comfortable living in an area that I knew was just recently exposed to toxic chemicals.

• Yes, I do think that this is a serious problem because it not only could kill a dangerous amount of wildlife it could also be a danger to people if they mistakenly drink the contaminated water. If I were a mayor of a town nearby and if this happened I would not hesitate to evacuate the town as soon as I could. I believe that as mayor it is your responsibility to keep everyone safe and alive. 

• I think this is a serious problem because these toxic materials can kill a lot of wildlife around the area. Then they opened up the tankers and set the materials on fire which was a terrible idea. This fire produced so much smoke that it made a smoke circle in the sky visible from space.

• I think that this is a problem because of the fish that died. I think that everyone should have evacuated though I think that there was probably many people who didn't or didn't want to. I can not think of any way to prevent things like this. There is going to be errors in everything, there is no sure way to make sure that there is nothing bad that happens. Though maybe there should be better checks.

• Yes, this is a big probem because without water or clean air you could have people dead. You need water for your everyday life and you need clean air to breathe so you dont end up sick. I think that they sould evacuate the town for a long time before it harms people and more animals. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker