A Cathloic high school in Ohio announced this week that they are going to begin conducting random drug tests at school starting in January to help enforce a new policy banning illegal drugs and nicotine. At the beginning of the week, administrators at Stephen T. Badin High School sent a letter home to the parents informing them of what was going on and the "aggressive" initiative aimed at protecting students who may feel "pressured into experimenting with drugs." The letter stated, " All students are capable of making mistakes and it is our job to ensure that students learn from them and grow through the process with the support and guidance of their family and the leadership of the school." There is not a maximum number of times a student can be tested, but it has sparked a debate over the rights of schools to conduct drug tests on students.  

Click here for the full story 

Do you think schools have the right to make these decisions? 

I think that schools should be allowed to do this because they are trying to protect the students and help them if they are stuck in a bad situation with drugs. 

Do you feel like it is an invasion of the student's privacy to be tested at school?

I believe that some student's would be uncomfortable being tested at school if they knew they were in the wrong, but others would be fine with it. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Also, I don't know how some rules would apply to a private school, but at public schools they can't drug test you, if you aren't an athelete or in clubs,  without a reasonable suspicion because otherwise it goes agaisnt the fourth amendment which deals with search and seizure rights. So I think it does infringe on privacy but I can understand what schools are trying to do because they want to help their students have a better future. 

• I do believe that schools should be able to do this because then kids would not be doing drugs as much. The kids would not know when the random drug test would come so I feel like if they were smart, they wouldn't do the drugs at all so they wouldn't get caught.

• I agree with you, this could potentially reduce the rate of drugs at school. The point of it being a random drug test is so that kids don't try and cheat the system. You're right, if the kids know that their school is going to start doing these tests, they would be smart about it and stop doing drugs or don't even start it because that is a bad thing to start. 

• I don't think that doing this is invading the students privacy because, yes it is their choice if they want to do drugs but it is illegal so they should be doing it. Doing theese drug tests will definetly reduce the amount of students doing drugs.

• I agree with you, some student's might think that it is invading their privacy but it is also their choice to do drugs in the first place, but the people that don't do drugs probably won't care that they have to get tested because they dont have to worry about anything. I also agree with you that this could reduce the drug rate at schools. 

• I feel not acted on these decisions and should go for a vote for the community.  I feel it would be weird to do that at first but after awhile it be a normal thing.  

• Going to the community about this could be an option. I never thought about that. Taking a city vote on this could be an option. I think more schools need to mayne start doing this if it this school sees a change for the better. I agree with you that it would be a little weird at first, but i think the more they do this, the better students will get and they might see a change. 

• I think that doing these random drug tests because it will encourage students to make better decisons and they will be less likely to do drugs because they will be scared that they might do a drug test. I think schools should be allowed to do this.

• That is a good thought! I believe that could be true, most students would get scared that they would get caught. I think it would scare some stuednts who are using drugs but other students may not even care. Im sure this scares many students.

• I agree with you, doing these randomly will help kids make better decisions and less likely to bring drugs to school. Kids shouldn't bring drugs to school anyways but this will maybe straighten them up, open their eyes, learn a lesson, or maybe even scare them to not bring them so they don't have to take the drug test. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker