O.J. Simpson

On June 12th, 1994 Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman were stabbed to death. O. J. Simpson a former college and professional football star was accused of murdering his ex-wife and her friend on June 17th, 1994. On the night of the stabbing, Simpson became one of the prime suspects in this murder. Instead of talking to the police about what had happened, he hid in the back of a White Bronco driven by his friend A.C. Cowlings. The police followed the Bronco for more than an hour after being told that Simpson was threatening to end his own life. This was on live television with about 95 million viewers. 

On July 22nd, 1994 Simpson entered a plea of not guilty. The trial started on January 24th, 1995. Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden led the Los Angeles attorney's office. They focused on the domestic violence that happened after the divorce of Nicole Brown and O.J. Simpson. Simpsons' attorney's defense was based on the fact that the evidence had been mishandled and that many of the police who were involved were racist. One of the police Mark Fuhrman found a bloody leather glove at Simpson's home, but when he tried it on in court the glove was too small for his hand. The defense said that many other items were planted to make Simpson seem like the murderer. 

This trial lasted more than eight months,150 witnesses testified, and Simpson did take the stand once. On October 3rd, 1995 the jury finally began making a decision on whether or not Simpson was the murderer. It took the jury a little less than four hours to decide but they delayed the announcement until the following day. On October 3rd it was announced that Simpson was found not guilty of the murders of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman. Though he was found not guilty he was sued by the victim's families for wrongful death. 

Do you think O.J. was the murderer? 

Did he deserve to be sued by the victim's families? 

Should the jury have taken into consideration all of the domestic violence evidence?

https://www.britannica.com/event/O-J-Simpson-trial

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have never heard of O.J simpson before. I knew about there was this big murder traial in the 1990s but I never looked into it. I don't think he murdered those people. I feel like they should not have died. 

• This is a controversial topic, O.J was aquitted of the murder charges. Yes, there is a possibilty for him to be a murderer, however he was not proven guilty. It is always important to remember that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, which, again, he wasn't.

• I agree, some of the cops that were involved in the case were racist, and they probably did plant the evidence to make him seem guilty. 

• I think that there is a possibility that O.J. is a murderer. Because he was not proven guilty there is no reason to hate on him because of it. If he was not proven guilty I do not think that the families should be able to sue him. If he has (By law) done nothing wrong, why must he be punished?

• I agree, I feel that it would make sense for the families to sue him if he was found guilty but since he wasn't they shouldn't have sued him. 

• I personally think that OJ Simpson was the killer. OJ Simpson deserved being sued. I think that they may have looked into those but OJ Simpson has a lot of money and could have bribed the judge. They probally favored him knowing he was a NFL RB.

• I think that he was the murderer but he was proven innocent. I understand why the people wanted to sue him because they beleive that he did it. I think that they could have taken it into consideration but its hard to tall because their is so much that went on in the case.

• I do not think O.J. murdered his ex-wife and her friend. I think a lot of the evidence was planted to make it look like he did it. I think the victim's family had a right to sue O.J., however, I think it was done as a way to get closure instead of believing it truly was him. 

• I don't think that O.J. was the murderer, and in my opinion, if the jury decided that he was not guilty of the murder of his ex-wife and her friend. The family of the victim should not have sued him for wrongful death. I do think the jury should have taken into consideration all the domestic violence evidence, but in the end they decided he was not guilty.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker