New Year’s Resolution: Problem or Solution?

New Year resolutions have been around for hundreds of years. They first started when the ancient Babylonians started making resolutions to their gods to confirm their loyalty. These resolutions were started over 4,000 years ago and have adapted into what they are today: New Year’s Resolutions. New Year resolutions are a tradition after New Year’s where an individual decides they want to do something better in regards to themselves, the people around them, or their community. This could include working out, learning a new skill, or eating healthier. While plenty of people make resolutions, only a small portion of the people making the resolutions actually do them. 

So how many people actually make them then? Statistics show that 59% of young adults make New Year’s resolutions while only 38.5% of adults make resolutions. However, in total, only 9% of all resolutions get completed. When talking about teens and their New Year’s resolutions, the main goals are getting good grades, staying healthy, and spending less time on their phones. As you can see, their resolutions can vary with resolutions adults made due to the different lifestyles each age group has. A resolution an adult has might have something to do with their job or their family.

Some reasons these resolutions are failing are lack of motivation, too extreme goals, and people just aren’t ready to commit fully. The biggest reason for failed resolutions are lack of motivation which are caused by someone becoming too busy and then changing their priorities. Sometimes people set far-out-there goals which can be overwhelming and seem impossible to accomplish and other times people just aren’t ready for change. Some tips for achieving resolutions include setting reasonable and small goals for yourself, plan ahead, and to just stick with it. By doing these things, there is a higher chance that you will be able to accomplish your resolution and in the long run, be happier with yourself.

I personally don’t usually set New Year’s resolutions because I usually have goals throughout the year that I work on. I think that the idea of setting a main goal at the beginning of the year is not very reasonable and realistic in terms of getting it done. When people set these major goals to finish, it may seem too difficult or they might even dread starting them. I think that a lot of people can be pressured to make a New Year’s resolution and a lot of the time they don’t have any meaning behind them. So do you think they are a problem or solution? 

Are you planning on setting a New Year’s resolution this year? 

If you are, what are you planning on trying to make better? 

Do you think New Year Resolutions are a problem or a solution? 

The History of Setting New Year's Resolutions .

New Year Resolution Statistics .

Tips to Keep your New Year's Resolution 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I usually do not set a New Year's resolution, and I will probably not set one this year. I could set one but my "resolutions" should be something I need to do no matter if it's a resolution or not. New Year resolutions can be problems and solutions, depending on the person and what resolution you are setting. 

• I've never set a new years resolution, so I won't be doing it this year either. I think it is a good idea for people that are determined to reach their goal.

• For me, I do not make New Year's resolutions, so I do not plan to change anything this year. In my opinion, New Year's resolutions are usually short-term solutions. For a short time, I think that many people follow it, but gradually give up. This may be because they set a goal they can't achieve and just stop trying to accomplish it.

• I definitely agree that people set unrealistic goals and that can cause them to fail to achive them and just give up. 

• I usally have one or two resolutions I make every year, But they are mostly random stuff that I think of, like "I will never eat wasabi again". I never really make a real important resolution. I have always found resolutions to be pretty fun to make, even if you don't keep them for very long. It just seems like a cool little tradition and I find it not a problem at all.

• I agree that it is a cool tradition to keep going. They still can be helpful in setting smaller, more reachable goals than compared to larger, more difficult goals. 

• No, I dont plan on setting a new Year resolution. If I did set one I think it would be to do better in school and to be a better athlete. i think new years resolutions are a good thing for some people so they can have goals to get better.

• I personally don't do a news year revolution mainly because I don't tend to follow it no matter what I do. but I don't think it's a problem I just think that people don't have enough effort for what their wishing for.

• I agree that people can fail their resolutions due to not having enough motivation or putting enough effort into it. 

• I guess my resolution this year would be to stop putting so much pressure on myself because I've always had good grades, but I think that I have to be perfect for everything to exceed my parent's expectations even though they are already proud of me, so I'll think I might change that if I remember

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker