NASA's Europa Clipper

Europa is the name of one of Jupiter’s many frosty moons. The Europa Clipper is a spacecraft that NASA is working on in hopes of gaining new information about Europa’s surface and atmospheric chemistry. The spacecraft is being worked on and is scheduled for takeoff on October 10th, 2024.  Scientists are almost 100% positive that there is water underneath the huge sheet of ice that covers the entirety of Europa. One of the main goals of the spacecraft is to collect data pertaining to whether or not Europa is able to sustain life. The clipper will collect data and send it back to Earth for scientists to determine if this moon holds the keys to support life.

The Europa Clipper will take off and reach Jupiter in the year 2030 (it takes such a long time because Jupiter is 372.85 million miles away from Earth). The spacecraft will enter orbit around Jupiter and do approximately 50 fly-bys of Europa–changing position slightly each time–and getting almost a full scan of Europa. As previously stated, NASA is mainly looking for the elements necessary to sustain life. Scientists hope that the information gathered will help in future missions. For example, if life is able to survive on Europa, then NASA might want to take trips and gather information from planets and moons similar to Europa.

Another goal of the Europa expedition is to measure the salinity (chemical makeup) of the water on its surface. If the salinity is just right, there is a possibility that there is life under the surface of the ice. If there is life–such as bacteria and small organisms–under the layer of ice, then scientists will be able to study the life and learn how they function. Then again, all this is hypothetical and we don’t know if Europa is even suitable for life to exist.

I think that the Europa Clipper is a great way for scientists to gather new information and learn more about how different life forms potentially work. This expedition will help set the tone for how similar missions in the future will go. I’m very excited to see what they find up there.

What do you think the outcome of the mission will be?

Do you think this mission is necessary? Why or why not?

What do you think is under the ice?

https://europa.nasa.gov/why-europa/ingredients-for-life/

https://europa.nasa.gov/mission/science/#:~:text=Europa%20Clipper%20Magnetometer%20(ECM),interacts%20with%20that%20of%20Jupiter

https://europa.nasa.gov/mission/about/#pre-project-planning-pre-phase-a

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that whatever they find could be amazing or nothing. I know they probably won't find much, but we won't know until the spacecraft gets there.

• I think that this project is completely unnecessary, and I also believe it is a waste of time. If we are uncapable of traveling even a fraction of this distance, we should not be looking for water there. Although I believe this, it is not a horrible idea to send a spacecraft there.

• I can't imagine the outcome will be anything groundbreaking. It is very cold on Europa and the chemical contents are still unknown, so the likelihood of life existing there is quite low.

• I agree, but I'm still optimistic that something will come out of it, even if it's not huge.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker