Mississippi Tornados

In Rolling Fork Mississippi there was a horrible tornado that killed 25 people. This tornado was an EF4 and it touched down in Mississippi on 3/24/23. Many people won't be able to recover from this disaster. This small town had a population of 2,000 people, fields of beans and rice surrounded it. Many of these people that live in this town are very poor and live in mobile homes. 

Many families' homes were directly hit by the tornado, making it almost impossible to survive. One family had to tuck their 4-year-old child under a mattress they would've gone to the bathroom but the mother remembered that there was a massive tree on that side of the house. Luckily they moved because that tree did end up falling on this house. Many people are wondering why this tornado was so big and so dangerous. 

The name for this very destructive tornado is called a long-track tornado, these tornados don't happen often. This specific tornado started in Rolling fork went to Jackson Mississippi and then continued to Silver City it was on the ground for more than an hour. The maximum winds were 170 mph, which is one of the deadliest tornados in the state of Mississippi. After it was off the ground in Silver City another tornado formed in Blackhawk and went to Winona Mississippi. The winds for that one were 155 mph. The average speed of tornados is 30 mph, I think it's so crazy that these tornados in Mississippi were 170 and 155 mph.

What kind of things would you do to help these people? 

Would you travel down to Mississippi to help the people in need? 

What kind of things do you think you would need after something like this happens?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/03/26/why-mississippi-tornado-size-was-rare/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/26/rolling-fork-mississippi-tornado-damage/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree for a lot of people this situation will be traumatic and people will be grieving because they lost their family members. People are going to need help physically and mentally.   

• I think that we should help the people in Mississippi. We should donate supplies to help them rebuild their cities and we should also send food and water. I think we should also see what things they need the most and send them down. 

• I think that people most thing they need is food and shelter becasue all that stuff from the houses can go flying if you get wind and you get hurt when there is no medical attetion so proably food and water are the most imporant things.

• I think there should be a gofundme or something like that so families can get money to get food and water, not only that they need to rebuild their houses which will be a lot of money. 

• I think that if they were to set up a GoFundMe, a lot of people would donate to help the cause, just because it's quite a ways away so a lot of people wouldn't want to make the trip down to help, but would still want to help in some sort of way. I think after a disaster like this happens a lot of people would need shelter, food, and other resources, just until they are able to rebuild their homes. I think it would also be nice if lumber companies or housing companies could donate supplies somewhere to help repair these homes.

• I think i would donate a lot of stuff that we dont use to these people. I would drive down to Mississippi to help these people cause this shouldn't happen to anyone. I would need clothes, shelter, food, water. People dont have those things because of they all lost it.

• I would also donate a lot of stuff to them, if I were older and I wasn't in highschool still I probably drive there to try to help them. 

• I think the easiest thing for us to do, is to donate money for restoring many peoples homes. I would probably travel to Mississippi if I could to help a bunch of people in need, because there is nothing anyone could have done to prevent their house from getting destroyed.

• I would probably donate food and water or clothes because those are the essentials and nobody wants to be hungry and thisty. I would not travel to help them because there are probably hundreds of people who are already there and won't need any help.

• I believe that we need to send help down to these people.  We need to start to help them rebuild their towns and cities.  They need all of the help that they can get.  They are going to need supplies like food and water.  However, I do not think that this is a big enough situation to be a national disaster.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker