Mental Health

Mental Health is something that an economy that is changing Some kids are scared to express themselves because of the mental issues they have taken. For example, I'm a  teen and I've been through a lot. I have depression, ADHD, anxiety, and anger issues but I've learned to control them.  These are just some of the mental health issues we have in our economy. Many people say that it isn't real and it's just in our heads but a proven study has shown that there are 284 million people with anxiety and 264 million with depression. Two songs speak to me that might help you understand what we are going through “Blame is on Me”  by Alexander Stewart and Mercy by Shawn Mendes The words in the songs have more power to people like me because the way that he says the words in the way it's interpreted by other people. Like how Sean says “You've got a hold of me Don’t even know your power I stand a hundred feet but I fall when I’m around ya show me an open door then you go and slam it on me I can’t take anymore” And when Stewart says “The worst part is you're innocent in all of this I was just calling quits You were giving me all that I could need I was missing it, now I'm all alone Going through our old messages and I'm getting it Usually I'm the one getting burned Didn't realize I was hurting you Oh God, I'm sorry, I put you through hell You tried to love me when I hated myself I know it's too late for apologies For all of the mistakes that I didn't see The blame's on me Hate this is such a cliché Don't know what, what you have 'til it's gone away But that don't take, take away any pain I'm still here sleeping in the bed I made Next to an empty space” 

GCC approximately 15% of our population suffer mental disorders any given year. Most common disorders are anxiety, depression, eating disorders, dementia, substance abuse, and ADHD (among others). Before COVID-19, it was reported anxiety afflicted 284 million. Depression alone afflicted 264 million people. Yet the scale of problem likely larger because many never seek qualified professional help. Saudi Arabia for example, 80% with mental disorders don’t seek treatment. Every year, 12 billion productive days are lost because of depression and anxiety costing global economy $1 trillion lost productivity. Less than 2% global health budget spent on mental health. Studies have found for every $1 invested into scaled-up treatment for mental health there is $4 return improved health and productivity. Mental disorders are just as common in GCC as worldwide. Yet tend to be underreported because of poor awareness, limited help-seeking support, and shortage of mental health care professionals.

More than half of people that have mental illness don’t receive help with their disorders. This is because of being treated differently or fear of losing their livelihood and jobs. Because stigma, prejudice, and discrimination against them are very much a problem. People with mental illness are marginalized, discriminated against in various ways. Stiga comes from a lack of understanding or fear. Inaccurate and misleading media representations of mental illness contribute to this factor. Issues in some diverse racial or ethnic communities can be a major barrier for them accessing mental health services. In some Asian cultures seeking professional help may counter cultural values of strong family, emotional restraint, and avoiding shame. Effects This can have reduced hope, lower self-esteem, difficulties with social relationships, social isolation, lack of understanding by family, friends, co-workers, or others, bullying physical violence, or harassment. Addressing it having individuals speaking out and sharing their stories can have a positive impact. Many celebrities, such as Demi Lovato, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Michael Phelps, Taraji P. Henson, and Lady Gaga have shared their stories. 14- to 22-year-olds found 90% of teens and young adults are experiencing symptoms of depression.             More than any other type of illness, mental disorders subject from negative judgments and stigmatization. Patients not only cope often devastating effects their illness, also suffer from social exclusion and prejudices. The stigmatization of mentally ill have long tradition with “stigmatization” indicating negative connotations in Ancient Greece, “stigma” brand to mark slaves or criminals. Millennia, society did not treat people suffering from depression, autism, schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses much better slaves or criminals, who were imprisoned, tortured, or killed. Middle Ages, mental illness regarded as a punishment from god. Sufferers possessed by the devil were burned at the stake and thrown in penitentiaries and madhouses where they were chained to walls or beds. Enlightenmentment mental ill finally freed their chains institution were established to help mental illness. Stigmatization and discrimination reached unfortunate peak Nazi reign Germany hundreds of thousands mentally ill people were murdered or sterilized. Stigmatization of mental illness still important societal problem. General population largely ignorant about this problem fear of the mentally ill remains prevalent. No longer imprison, burn kill the mentally ill as in the Middle Ages Nazi Germany, social standards. Attitudes are nonetheless unworthy modern welfare states. Discrimination mentally still pervasive, whether in legislation rehabilitation efforts. 

Works Cited

Rössler, Wulf. “The stigma of mental disorders - PMC.” NCBI, 28 July 2016, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5007563/#embr201643041-bib-0007. Accessed 26 August 2023.

“The Socio-economic Impact of Untreated Mental Illness.” PwC, https://www.pwc.com/m1/en/publications/socio-economic-impact-untreated-mental-illness.html. Accessed 26 August 2023.

“Stigma, Prejudice and Discrimination Against People with Mental Illness.” American Psychiatric Association, https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/stigma-and-discrimination. Accessed 26 August 2023.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that mental health needs to talked about more because it is a very serious thing. Talking about it can make others feel like there not alone and they have others support. 

• For me mental health is very important because some kids you never know if there unstable or not and if they have somthing wrong with them. It is important that they are able to talk about there mental health to someone that understands there situation.

• I beilive that mental health is a very important thing to be talked about. You never know what goes on behind other peoples lifes. It also helps to be talked about so people can talk and connect to people who have been throught the same thing and bring them peace.

• I feel like mental health should be talked about more in a better light, just because you have a mental health issue doesn't mean you should be ostracized. Now, I feel like it's starting to get better and I hope it continues, mental health is very important too since it can affect someone if it is not taken care of or people discriminate against them for it.

• I'm not ostracized people with mental health its ok to have mental issue. Do you know what its like for people like me and peolpe with mental health issues? Because we go through a lot everyone thinks we are ok all the time but we are not and it's not okay to just have someone think that because in the end do you understand? We need people in this world who understand what people like me go through. It doesn't matter that you think I'm ostracized that's not okay not with me. It kind of feels like you're kind of just calling us out. now that you point out that I'm trying to get my point across someone needs to do something about this because, I just found something out that my mom has been fighting for, and she is right. Did anyone listen to her no? Do you think I'm doing this to call someone out I'm not. I'm getting my point across that something needs to be done that it's not okay what everyone's going through because some people can be going through happiness one day and be sad the next minute. Some people can be bipolar and that's okay but do you understand what it's like for people with mental health issues? 

• Mental health is important becuase people don't know what others are gowing through and people should know that everything effects everything differently. Mental health should be talked about more offten because a lot more people have issues with it nowadays. 

• This is a great topic mental health is so important and it definently dosent get brought up enough. I think it is great for others to get an understanding on what some people struggle and go through in their everyday lifes. I struggle with anxiety but that almost feels like nothing comapred to what some people go through.

• Mental health is very important to keep in mind about others, I never had a issue about my mental health but I know a couple of poeple that have struggle with their  mental health in the past. Informing others about mental health can be used to show poeple what others might be going through.

• Absolutely, most of my family goes through mental health and its time to make a change. We don't need people always asking us if we are ok because do you really know what we go through and do you really care? So its time for change.

• I feel like mental health is a good topic to talk about cuz most people don't understand what mental health is and it's good to inform people what others might be going through. Me personally I have never gone through anything like this so sometimes it's hard for me to understand what others go through. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker