Man Shoots Brother When Mistaken For a Deer

December 6th was the opening day for muzzle loader season in Michigan for deer. The night of December 6th a man and his brother were hunting deer. After one beleived that he had shot a deer he went looking for the deer. One brother looked in one spot the other looked a different place. The 29 year old brother shot what he thought looked like the deer. After he realized he had shot his brother he called 911 and helped the brother that had been shot out of the feild and to the first responders. He was then flown to a hospital in stable condition. 

1) What should happen to prevent this from happening again? I think we need to always make sure we wear orange when hunting and make sure you confirm that it is a deer.

2)Do you think the brother that shot the other brother should face any serious punishment? I think he might need to go to a hunting course again but from the sounds of it he in no way meant to do that.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-man-shoots-brother-mistaking-hurt-deer/story?id=67089387&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_twopack_image

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• That may help but how do we know whos "stupid" this man that shot his brother is mentally stable he just thought his brother looked like a deer because he was wearing camo and no orange vest I agree he should have checked again before he pulled the trigger but I think he was fine to have a hunting license.

• Although accidents do happen, caution and safety when hunting are extremely important. The brother that was shot must have not been wearing orange if the other brother had mistaken him for a deer and didn't realize his mistake right away. Because the second brother is stable, I don't think the first brother will face much punishment legally. 

• I agree and I think some dont realize that when they are hunting that there loives are in danger and I think they need to start thinking like that and be more aware of whats going on around them so that are safe.

• I am pretty sure there is a law that you have to wear so much orange in Iowa, so I think states need to make sure hunters have a good amount of bright orage on to be seen and this should not be much of a problem. I think he might get in trouble with the law even if it was an accident, but I do think he should be a lot more careful the next time he goes out hunting.

• I agree and im not sure if that law is for all states or just Iowa but I agree and I think it needs to be enforced and it will save lives and if you are caught without their should be a penalty

• I think to prevent this from happening, people need to be more aware of their surroundings. Meaning know what your partners are wearing and where their going to be at so things like this dont happen. I dont think the brother should be punished since it sounds like it was an accident.

• I agree and in this situation that probably would have prevented this but say two people are huntig and one doesn't know then that could also ed badly thats why you always need to be wearing orange.

•  I think that people need to wear bright, neon colors when hunting so you know it's a person not an animal that you are aiming/shooting at. I also think people who have experience hunting can come talk to kids on the importance of knowing what your shooting at and safty stuff. I don't think he should go to jail or anything because it was an honest mistake and his brother is alive.

• I also think all hunters should wear bright colors, in order to be seen and stand out. I wonder how far away the brothers were from each other? I feel like the brother who shot the other brother would of seen he wasn't a deer through the scope. But that is saying that he was using a gun with a scope.

• Im from Tajikistan and such situation happened there too, but unfortunately with bad outcome because a brother shot his own brother and he died. I think we need t be carefull with it, because it is very dangerouse and come up with something. I think there is no any reason to put in jail someone because that happened by a chance and the brother who shot did not want to do it, he thought it was an animal.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker