LGBTQ+ Adoption Rights

LGBTQ+  relationships or marriages tend to rely on adoption agencies and foster care considering the circumstances of their gender identification or their significant other(s)gender. LGBTQ advocates argue the adoption laws are part of a larger movement to roll-back on hard-won protections for the community. People often say that they protect the first-amendment right of faith -based organizations and individuals. 

A republican governor in Tennessee signed an agreement that allows private adoptions and foster care agencies to continue receiving taxpayer funds even if they exclude LGBTQ prospective parents and others who do not meet the agency's religious criteria. Witch is saying  that even if a couple of the LGBTQ+ community passes all the background checks that a “traditional couple” go through if the agency isn't ok with it you can't adopt a child. 

Personally, I dont agree with LGBTQ adoption rights. I have never personally met someone who has been rejected by an adoption agency because of their sexual preference. I do think it is a very good way to go with same-sex marriage.

Questions-

-Do you think that people from the LGBTQ community should be allowed to adoped children and provide them with a safer home?

-Should judges,agencies, and the birth parents have to put aside their own bias so they can give a child the best outcome? 

Sources 

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/lgbtq-tennesseans-are-saddened-disappointed-new-adoption-law-n1137086

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0190740919305791

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Dakota,

Good topic choice! I would like to see your summary include more of your thoughts and opinions. You did not reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points. -30 late three days.

• LGBTQ+ adoption should be encouraged. Foster care and adoption agencies mess with a child. Our goal should be to have as many children out of the as possible, as long as it's safe (of course ). As for faith based agencies, they should have the right to refuse, but based on the family's faith. In their and my opinion a house with a good faith is a good and safe home for children and just because someone has a different sexuallity doesn't mean they're unreligious although it can seem contridicting to some. In other words, if they're going to refuse to LGBTQ+ parents, it better be for a reason they're willing to refuse to a straight couple.  

• Yes for sure, they have every right to able to provide a safe enviroment for a kid that needs it. Judges, and agencies should put their opinions aside because they are performing a job. You should never mix your personal life with your job that is not ethical at all. Birth parents should have an opinion on where their kid goes though because they are just aiming for their kid to have a better life.

• I i think if they can provid a good loving safe home and take good care of them then yes  think they should be able to. I mean ya they clould pick on them but i dont think they would do that very much.

• an lgbt home is no different than any other home. they still have parents, support, and a stable family, I don't understand why they wouldn't deserve rights? just because you haven't met someone who has been on the moon doesn't been the moon doesn't exist, you haven't personally experienced discrimination from your own sexuality. homosexuals already face so much in society why can't they have adoption rights, not to mention if only straight people can adopt I can imagine the adoption rates would drop dramatically. 

• I don't think a child should be adopted into an LGBTQ family. The child is going to have a lot of problems growing up because their parents are different. They might get bullied in school or treated differently. The parents might raise the child differently or the child will have mental problems or be depressed because he/she is different. I don't think the child will be okay and something bad will happen to he/she.  

• I think anyone should be able to adopt if they want to. Most people want a faimly and if your part of the LGBTQ community then thats one of your only options. If your going to provide a safe and happy home for a child who needs one then no should be able to tell you your not allowed to. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker