Landfill in the United States.

This disscussion has been a long topic for about 5,000 years! We have to deal with trash surrounding us when we go outdoors or even in the ocean. There are local dumps in a lot of countrys but we still dont throw away our trash. There are hills and heaps full of trash around the world and like I said before its getting in the ocean and killing animals cause they either eat the plastic or it can choke them. So by having landfills not near the ocean then it probably won't happen as much as it already does. 

Basically every town has a garbage man, but where do they bring your trash? When landfills are in town and nearby they will take it there and the people there create a landfill full of trash to get rid of. They bury it into the ground with soil or sludge. But some companys get there landfill and put it in a nearby river or sometimes lakes and then that trash can flow to the ocean and kill more animlas.  But did you know that in 2016 there was an estimated answer of 2.7 million metric tons of plastic waste in the ocean. 

Many people belive that landfills are okay for the enviroment because it keeps the trash in one place rather than scattered. More cities, and towns are starting to add more trash cans to their public areas. Also adding dumpsters around the town like in allys would help too. But if there arnt lots of trash cans people will tend to litter, and thats why trash gets to the ocean. 

If we keep littering our trash will hurt the earth and it wont be good. It would pollute the neighborhoods, down size property values, also it will destroy the city' s natural beauty. So basically it would kill the earth. So if we just throw away or trash rather than litter it would make our planet better, and landfills should not dump the trash into the ocean but also should not bury it in soil cause it pollutes the plants and could burn and explode even! Because trash contains methane gas and methane gas presents a hazard which can cause an explosion. 

Sources 

Source 1 

Source 2 

Source 3 

Source 4 

Questions: 

1. What do you think would happen if we stopped dumping our trash in unwanted places? 

2.  If we could not dump our landfill into the ocean what would be a good alternative? 

3. Should the U.S ban littering and make more trash cans? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and summary Leigha! Be sure to comment all week lonmg as you kind oif stopped. This was also posted a week late.

• I think a good alternative would be trying to find a way to use the plastic as fuel or use it as something else instead of just throwing it away. I think the U.S should not ban littering because they signs that have fines on them to discourage littering. 

• I think someone should invent a product where they use the waste from other products to make it into their own so the waste is lowered. I Don't know where else They would put the trash but I think they need to find a different alternative then whats happening right now.

• I dont think it will ever stop but it looks very bad druving down the highways seeing all the trash. im not sure how we will every bebable to fix these things. but making more trash cans around might help even though I feel like we already have a lot.

• I think if we stopped everything would be better again and I think we would have better air quality on the planet if we stopped littering. Maybe the thing is make it into new things, things we could use in life. It would be good if the U.S. made this happen, just add more trash cans its not that hard.

• I personally think that it would make everything wrong with the planet, better. But it is a huge thing to ask people to stop littering when that's what most people are used to doing now. Instead of making a place to dump all of our unwated items we could just start making things decomposable so we won't have to worry about it, but that is a big thing to ask.

• I feel like the world would overall be a better place if we stopped littering but there is also a huge process that the entire world would have to go to. People can't just decide to not litter as a group, it would need to be a worldwide movement with extreme measures and alternative ways of living.

• If we stopped littering it will help nature more healthy and sea animals more healthy. The ocean would of been way cleaner then it was when we put the trash in the water and the sea life is safe. Yes we should ban littering because it's bad for our oceans and nature and add more trashcans. 

• I think the world would be a better place if we changed the way our trash system works. I think it will keep our roads clean and our oceans clean, and we could see an improvement in our health and the health of animals. This trash is polluting the air especially if it's in unwanted places.

• I think the earth would be cleaner and healthier if we stopped dumping our trash in unwanted places. I think a good way to fix this problem would be to provide more places to throw away trash and make more reusable items. It would be good for the U.S. to punish people more for littering, and more trash cans would reduce littering.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker