A middle school girl was asked who she would kill if she could kill any five people, then formed her fingers into a gun and pointed her finger gun at multiple of her classmates and she has been charged with a felony. The incident occurred at Westridge middle school in Overland Park on September 18th. Administrators were alerted of this potential threat and alerted authorities. She allegedly pointed the finger gun at four of her classmates then herself. A spokesman from the District Attorney's office reviewed the case of the juvenile and gave reasons for her being charged with a felony offense. 

Link

1. Do you think that this minor should have been charged with a felony? Or should it of been handled another way? 

I think that they should have handled it differently. They should have at least gave her a chance to explain herself and if anything I would see why she decided to even answer her classmate that asked her the question. I understand the circumstances and danger but I believe it should have been handled differently. 

2. If you were on this school’s administration how would you react to this 13-year-old girl's behavior?

I would try to understand why she did this and I would also try to find her the help she needs instead of just locking her up. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the charge of felony is a little too much since she never actually threatened to kill anyone. I do however think that in todays world no one should really joke about doing that even if it is a finger gun because those are real problems in our world.

• I agree this is too harsh he mean he probably shouldn't have done this but he probably wasn't actually gonna do anything harmful. He probably shouldn't have done this but if they are trying to make and example of him I still think its too harsh.

• I think that this should have been handled in a different way than this. I think that she would need counsling maybe or even just time alone with other superivesd people. I would also see why the other kid had asked her if she had to kill any of 5 people who would it be, and find out what made her say that.

• I agree that it should have been handled differently because she never threatened to kill anyone. I understand that she shouldn't have answered the question, but I don't think they had to make that big of a deal out of it. If I was the school's administration I would ask her why she did this and make sure she wasn't actually going to harm anyone. 

• That is a good point, she did never threaten to kill anyone. It would be a different story if she threatened to kill someone. I think they are making to big of deal out of the whole situation. Many kids use a fake gun with their fingers, but most people know they are joking.

• I think that the situation could of been done differently then they way they did. 

I would ask her if everything was ok and try and help her if she wasn't and that i wouldn't of gotten the police involed when the situation could be handeld better .

• I think that the situation should have been handled this way. She may have been joking, but lately, there have been many cases of school shootings. By giving this girl a felony and watching her carfully they will minimize the risk of her committing a mass shooting or any other act of harm.

• I don't know if the minor should have been charged with a felony or not. The person who asked her who she would kill should be in trouble along with the girl who pointed the finger gun. It should also be taken seriously that she pointed the gun to herself as well. As the school administration, I would take the opportunity to talk to the girl to discuss why she pointed the gun at the people she did. 

• I agree, I mean she probably should of been aware of her own action, but they should of handled it differently. If they would of gave her a chance to explain they would of understood her reasoning for her action more. I dont know for sure what I would do in this situation, but I definitely wouldn't of locked her up.

• I would have handled this differently, they should have had her be evauluated by a counseler and undergone therapy. If I was the adminastration I would have gotten this girl to help almost as soon as possible, because she obviously needs it and jail time will most likely make her mental issues worse. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker