A middle school girl was asked who she would kill if she could kill any five people, then formed her fingers into a gun and pointed her finger gun at multiple of her classmates and she has been charged with a felony. The incident occurred at Westridge middle school in Overland Park on September 18th. Administrators were alerted of this potential threat and alerted authorities. She allegedly pointed the finger gun at four of her classmates then herself. A spokesman from the District Attorney's office reviewed the case of the juvenile and gave reasons for her being charged with a felony offense. 

Link

1. Do you think that this minor should have been charged with a felony? Or should it of been handled another way? 

I think that they should have handled it differently. They should have at least gave her a chance to explain herself and if anything I would see why she decided to even answer her classmate that asked her the question. I understand the circumstances and danger but I believe it should have been handled differently. 

2. If you were on this school’s administration how would you react to this 13-year-old girl's behavior?

I would try to understand why she did this and I would also try to find her the help she needs instead of just locking her up. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I'd probably get her a mentor or a concelor because obviously she wants to commit suicide. Also, I'd have a talk with her and probably suspend her for a little bit atleast. Also, there would probably have to be charges pressed against her for making threats to other students.

• I don't think she should have been charged for this, she is young and makes mistakes easily like every other kid. I would have forgiven her for this but I would have likely made sure she was ok and more or less joking/not being serious.

• I believe she shouldn't have been charged with a felony because she is only a 13 year old. She should have maybe been charged with something. However, because she is only a minor she should have been left off with something. She should have got suspended from school or something though.

• Agreed Teagon, young children make mistakes repeatedly. Some times kids dont know what their doing at the time is bad until they have a consequence. Being that is only 13, the punishments she got may have been a bit harsh for me. But it also depends the manner of her actions, like did she make sounds effects, etc.

•  I think it should have been handled another way. I think this because shes just a kid, and obviously needs some help mentally. I don't think it's a big deal to for kids to make finger guns when being playful with friends, but when asked a question like that it isn't ok. If I was on the school staff, I would tell the girl that it's not ok to do something like that, but I would also tell the other student that asked the question that he was in the wrong as well. After that, I'd seek help or some sort of therapy for the girl.

• I don't think she should've been charged with a felony, but punished by the school. She shouldn't have finger shot people but it's not like that means she's going to actually do it or wants to. It was a joke, or just a silly game. I do understand that it could be scary considering there are so many shootings recently.

• I don't know if it should have been charged as a felony, but I do think she should have been punished in some way. I would try and talk to her and figure out why she did what she did. I would also keep an eye on her to make sure nothing else occurs. 

• I don't believe that she should of been charged, she should of been able to explain herself and be prompted on why she answered the question. Her friend should also of been asked on why she asked that particular question. It definitely should of been handled another way. If I was on the schools administration, I would just tell her to not do it again. 

• I think they should of handled it differently. I think they should of gave her a chance to explain herself. Also, I don't see why they are even asking the question in school anyways bacause that isn't very appropriate, I think whoever asked that question should be getting in trouble or even fired for it. I would try to understand her situation and ask why she woul want to do somthing like this, I would aslo try to get her somebody to talk to like the council or even a therapist. 

• I think they should have handled it differently like you said. They should have taken her to a counselor or something because something is obviously wrong in her life, charging her with a felony isn't going to change that. I would try and figure out what was bothering her and try and get her happier and stuff. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker