Jewish Partisans

In World War 2 Jews were taken to concentration camps. These concentration camps had very poor living conditions and many died. Some of the Jews that were in these concentration camps managed to escape. They would flee to areas where they could hide, such as forests or underground. These people and groups were called partisans. A partisan is a person that was a part of a group that would fight against the opposing side. Jewish partisans would fight against the Nazis in the second world war.

20,000 to 30,000 Jews joined partisan resistance groups after they had escaped from camps. Jews were not the only ones that were part of these partisans, there were also many non-Jews. The Jews wanted to fight back after how they had been treated. The Jews became successful in fighting back because they knew the lay of the land that they where fighting in. The Nazis didn’t know the forest like the Jews did. Unlike the Germans, the Jews did not have many weapons or ammunition.

Even though they had escaped the Concentration camps, there were still many Jews that died due to the harsh living conditions in the forests. They had to live through storms, snow and freezing weather, and they did not have many medical supplies that they needed. The Jews would fight during the night because there wasn’t as much light, so they could camouflage. Many non-Jewish people helped the Jewish partisans greatly during the war. They would give the Jews food, information, and help them during the night when the Jews were fighting. Allies would also send items that the Jews needed with the help of parachutes. 

Not all Jewish Partisans fought directly against the Nazis. Some helped preserve their Jewish cultures by using art performances, making poems, painting, teaching Hebrew, and more. Some of them even helped free prisoners, take children to safety, forge documents, and sabotage German weapons and products. 

I think that being a partisan would be a very scary thing to do. These people were fighting against a group that had more weapons, more power, and more people. It was a very dangerous and courageous thing for these people to do. 

Sources:

https://www.jewishpartisans.org/what-is-a-jewish-partisan 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Jewish-partisan 

Questions:

If you had the chance to leave a concentration camp and join a partisan would you? 

Would you help Jews fight against the Nazis?

What would you do if you lived in a Jewish Partisan?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think I would have left a concentration camp to join a partisan because the concentration camps were really bad and I don't think anyone should ever have to go through what the Jews went through.

• If I could leave a concentration camp, and have the possibility of joining a partisan, I would go. I will end up dying eventually, whether it may be in a camp, fighting for Jewish lives, or of old age, so why not die doing something good? I would help fight against the Nazis, I would most likely do espionage because it is semi-safe and an efficient job to do.  

• I agree with you, eventually we are all going to die, so we might as well do something in our lives that could make a difference, even if it's risky.

• if i had the choice to leave the camp and join a partisan yes, i would rather live and do somthing great than dying and having to work in bad work conditions. i would help i would try to leave and go to a diffrent country. i have no idea what i would do in the situation 

• If I had the chance to leave a concentration camp I would 100% leave and join a partisan. I would want to die doing something helping my people rather than dying in a concentration camp from starvation, torture, being gassed, or being shot. I would help the Jews fight the Nazis because what they were doing to the jews wasn't right at all. It was horrifying what the nazis did to the Jews. 

• I agree with you, I would much rather die fighting for what I believed was right rather than being tortured at a camp.

• If I were in that situation I would leave and become a partisian as I believe that is the better choice. I would try to help fight the nazis but there is a good chance in most situations I would get to scared and hide or run because of how powerful they were during the time.

• I believe I would leave and become a partisan if I was in that position. I would love to say I would help fight the Nazis, but I couldn't tell you if I actually would be brave enough to help. If I lived in a Jewish Partisan I would help fight and stand up for what I believe in.

• I agree with you, I think that it would be an honor to be able to tell people that you helped fight the Nazis.

• I would leave the concetration camp and join the partisan because it would gave more freedom to the people who did, and it made a difference in the long run. I would also help the Jewish people becuase the fight was very unfair. There was a lot of Nazis and they had better weapons than the partisans. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker