To begin this topic, we will discuss medication. People do not realize the importance of lowering the cost of medicine. Medicines that are required for you, your families, your friends, and your pets to survive are almost always ungodly expensive. 

An example would be insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is required for people who suffer from diabetes. For those who do not know, diabetes is an organ-specific autoimmune disease that causes the lack of ability of your body to turn food into energy. That causes dangerously low blood sugar levels in people with diabetes, which causes them to need insulin. Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar) without the proper treatment will eventually lead to death; however, an insulin pump costs $4.5k to $6.5k, and additional supplies for the pump may cost another 1.5k dollars.

This has caused discourse about whether stealing medication is warranted or justified. Especially in recent years, stealing medication (or other things they need, like baby food, diapers, women’s cleanliness products, etc.) has increased because of the ever-growing cost of any products due to inflation.

People who argue against unlawful stealing say that “The price of medication is increasing because people are stealing, and companies are not getting paid for the work they do to get these products manufactured and brought to you. Then this causes the working class to lose money due to it.” But is this the case? People who agree that stealing in this situation is justified argues that “If everyone began paying for these expensive products, then supply and demand would take place and ultimately increase the cost of medication.”

Since the businesses that provide these products make them so expensive, they are worth a lot of money. Tylenol is a company owned by Johnson & Johnson, and Johnson & Johnson is worth $175.124 billion. So, does this company need to increase its products’ worth?

Do you think that people are justified in stealing medicine from companies?

Is stealing justified under any circumstances?

Should companies lower the prices of their products to prevent stealing?

https://answersingenesis.org/morality/is-stealing-okay-if-youre-getting-something-you-need/
https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/prescription-drug-price-increases

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Interesting topic choice and well done overall Annelyse! I would like to see a few more replies to student comments.

• I dont think that staeling can be justsifed. I think that companys should drop prices as low as they can with out hurting the company.  People are less likly to stael somthing of a rasonable price but if something nessicary for living ismarked up there are higher chances of somone stealing it instaed.

• I don't think that it's right to steal anything because you are breaking the law. I think that if companies lowerd the prices of their products it would definlity low the ten intensity of the high stealing prombelm

• I do not think that it is acceptable to steal, even if it is for important medicine. I think that it would be helpful for companies to lower their prices for medicine. However, if the compainies are going to lose money by lowering their prices, they should not lower them. I think that it is the peoples fault for not making enough money to pay for the medicine. If they were not too lazy, they'd have a job and then they could pay just fine.

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that stealing is a good thing. But, with that being said, people are sometimes forced to steal when it comes to life or death. I think that it is an awful situation to be in that stealing is their only option to get the medicines that they need. 

• Stealing is never a good thing. But sometimes, people need to steal in order to survive. But that doesn't make it right. Sometimes, people need to steal in order to help their family survive while they are in a tough time. But it is still a crime.

• I feel that stealing is never justified. I believe that if you steal you are a terrible person. Stealing to get by is not the only solution. There are people out there to help you. However, I do think that companies should lower the prices of prescription drugs to help those in need.

• I feel like it's justified in some cases but it isn't right. Some people are stuck choosing between paying for paying rent or getting medicine to keep them alive and able to work. i can see how people find it unjustifiable but i also understand where the theif is coming from.

• I do not think that stealing is justified under any circumstance. Even if the pricies are way too high, you still shouldn't steal. I do not think that lowering the prices will prevent stealing. I think that people will still end up stealing if they want to no matter the price.

• I think people are justified in stealing medicine from companies. Becuase some people have nothing and are just trying to survive so stealing is there last thing they can do. I think lowering prices will not prevent stealing because most people steal because they have nothing. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker