To begin this topic, we will discuss medication. People do not realize the importance of lowering the cost of medicine. Medicines that are required for you, your families, your friends, and your pets to survive are almost always ungodly expensive. 

An example would be insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is required for people who suffer from diabetes. For those who do not know, diabetes is an organ-specific autoimmune disease that causes the lack of ability of your body to turn food into energy. That causes dangerously low blood sugar levels in people with diabetes, which causes them to need insulin. Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar) without the proper treatment will eventually lead to death; however, an insulin pump costs $4.5k to $6.5k, and additional supplies for the pump may cost another 1.5k dollars.

This has caused discourse about whether stealing medication is warranted or justified. Especially in recent years, stealing medication (or other things they need, like baby food, diapers, women’s cleanliness products, etc.) has increased because of the ever-growing cost of any products due to inflation.

People who argue against unlawful stealing say that “The price of medication is increasing because people are stealing, and companies are not getting paid for the work they do to get these products manufactured and brought to you. Then this causes the working class to lose money due to it.” But is this the case? People who agree that stealing in this situation is justified argues that “If everyone began paying for these expensive products, then supply and demand would take place and ultimately increase the cost of medication.”

Since the businesses that provide these products make them so expensive, they are worth a lot of money. Tylenol is a company owned by Johnson & Johnson, and Johnson & Johnson is worth $175.124 billion. So, does this company need to increase its products’ worth?

Do you think that people are justified in stealing medicine from companies?

Is stealing justified under any circumstances?

Should companies lower the prices of their products to prevent stealing?

https://answersingenesis.org/morality/is-stealing-okay-if-youre-getting-something-you-need/
https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/prescription-drug-price-increases

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that lowering prices would decrease stealing at all. I think it would happen either way. I think in certain circumstances stealing is acceptable but in most cases it is not. I think stealing medicine is not justified and completely wrong.

• I think that it depends on the cause of stealing and their mind set while they steal it. If they steal it just so they say they did or if they do it to help people. I think that it also depends on what they are steeling too. If they steal money or something then it should not be justified.

• There are certainly times when it can be justified, but still not okay. A cliche example would be "a single mother steals a loaf of bread for her three kids" Although stealing is never right, it can be for good reasons with good intentions. I think that lower prices would increase petty theft; with lower prices, people probably wouldn't feel as guilty about stealing.

• Subjectively speaking, this may be true. People may begin to steal things more because they'd feel less guilty. But, since the medication they need is more affordable, it will decrease stealing. According to "FIRST Security NZ", inflation in the united states has ultimately increased the stealing of goods, and by relation, decreasing the price would improve stealing statistics (by making stealing less prominent).

• Stealing should never be justified under any circumstances. I understand that things are expensive but that doesn't mean that you should just be able to steal things if you need them. There are plenty of organizations out there that help low-income families with buying the things they need.

• I do think there is a point to where stealing is justified. Let's say that you're poor and your family is starving, the right thing to do is get food for them. You would steal the food in order to survive. You stealing food is justified. 

• No, I don’t think that stealing should be justified. Although, I do understand why some people might steal important things like medication and women's products these days prices for such products are pretty high. I do believe that it can seem unfair to people who don’t have as much money as everyone else. When it comes to women's products like pads and tampons those are pretty expensive for what feels like no reason. It is the same for medication like Tylenol and Ibuprofen all of it is expensive and as time goes on they just keep getting higher and higher. I think that it might be a little bit fairer if some companies lowered the prices of these products so that it would be easier to stay on top of your physical health.

• I feel there is a point where stealing is justified. If I were to see a women stealing baby formula I wouldn't say anything. I also feel if I saw a homeless man stealing food I wouldn't say anything, I think there is a difference between stealing to break the law and stealing to survive. If someone has to steal food just so they or their kids can survive I am not saying a word. I feel that type of stealing is justified. 

• Legally, it is never justified, but if your trying to feed your family or provide for them in any other way then mabye its not the most terrible thing to do on the planet. Then again, if you take care of your responsibilities in life you shouldn't have to end up stealing anything.

• I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes people are dealt an unlucky hand in life, which can cause the need for stealing things they require. Sometimes the family you were born into isn't wealthy at all and you struggle to live on a day-to-day basis. I hope at some point there will be more programs to help people like this get jobs, as their life won't improve by being given necessities if they don't have a job to consistently support them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker