Is The Meat-Packing Industry a Hidden Monopoly?

For years cattle ranchers along with other independent cattle producers across the US have called out the meat packing industry. Not much came out of the Covid pandemic but the meat packing industry was finally exposed. In 2020, reports and stories were being spread exposing the industry that has been hidden for decades. The meat packing industry is being controlled by 4 major coroporations. These include Tyson Foods, JBS, Cargill, and National Beef. Some say it's not a monopoly because it is split up. However, many people don't see all the hard work cattle producers do and how much they get screwed over.

Meat packers can make up to $400-$500 per head and sometimes up to $1,000 and purchase around 65,000 head a week. Do the math and thats $32,500,000 - $40,000,000 per week. They make all this money while cattle producers make an average of $655 dollars per head. This may seem like more, but people don't see all the work being done, the dead cattle that lose money for ranchers, the cost of vaccines, the cost to own land, and the cost to feed. 

I think the meat packing industry is a huge scam and something should be done about it. Laws are being pushed to stop all of this but it needs more exposure so people know the truth. My family has a few feedlots and we rasie cattle for a living but people don't know the work that goes into it, especially the meat packers. I hope laws are passed and independent cattle producers get their money's worth.

Do you think the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly?

Do you think laws should be passed or more rules established?

Sources

https://www.natchitochestimes.com/2022/03/02/meat-processors-earn-record-profits-amid-price-increases-but-producers-feel-ground-down/

https://www.feedlotmagazine.com/news/cow_calf_corner/cow-calf-profitability-estimates-for-2021-and-2022/article_238bf19a-ab76-11ec-9d89-ef2b7030c883.html#:~:text=Weaning%20rate%20was%20estimated%20at,revenue%20is%20%24655%20per%20cow.

https://agamerica.com/blog/meatpacking-monopoly-legislative-updates/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Love this topic choice and well done Weston!!

• I agree with you, I think the meat packing industry is a huge scam. I think it is a hidden monoply,  because they completly control the meat/beef industry. I also think that the government should put more rules/regulations on them because whenever they want the prices to move up and down, they can move them.

• I think that it is a hidden monopoly. I think that they need to get more money for people who produce cattle. They need more money because they do very hard work for weeks and months. So I think that they should do something about it.

• I think that the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly. I feel that more money needs to go to the cattle producers because of the amount of work that goes into it.  I think that more laws or rules need to be established so it would be fair for both cattle producers and meat packers.

• I do think that the meat packers are a monopoly.  They can completly control the beef industry.  They can buy from whoever they want at what price they want.  It is cheaper to raise beef in other countries so they can buy cheaper from other countries.

• I don't know much about this topic but I think the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly. Having only 4 major corporations and making so much money it looks like a monopoly. I think there should be more rules or laws established.

• I agree with you. I am still learning more about the topic and more information is coming out about it but I hope it gets more exposure so more rules are established.

• I don't know alot about this. I don't think it's a molopolie because other buisnesses still produce and sell meat. I dint think more laws are neccesary. But im kinda uneducated so whos knows. 

• I think that people are mostly ovethinking about the meat package thing because of what they have heard about it and what is liked about the meat packing. Yes people have thought that it is a huge scam but some people just simply belieive in it.

• I think that the meat industry is a hidden monopoly. There are only 4  major corporations, and cattle producers do a lot of hard work and still make a lot less the the meat packing industry.  I think there should be more laws passed to help cattle producers. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker