Is the Earth flat?

How did the theory of the flat earth start?

As most people know, when you stand on the ground and look around, you can’t tell that the Earth is round and looks very flat instead. In order to see the curved horizon, you have to be at least 35,000 ft above the ground. Obviously, this takes advanced technology to accomplish, so for a very long time, people could not see that the Earth had a curve and just thought it was flat. Many ancient philosophers perceived the Earth to be a flat disk floating in the ocean.

Flat Earth Society

Although we have made discoveries and have had technological advances that prove the Earth is round, many people still seem to be infatuated with the idea of the Earth being flat. In the 1830s, the concept of the flat earth was reinstated by a commune in Britain, led by Samuel Birley Rowbotham. This was in response to the scientific progress being made. In the 1950s, the Flat Earth Society was created. The group was based in Britain with around 4,000 members. When social media became popular and started to have a great influence, the organization relaunched itself worldwide in October 2009. 

This group has many similar beliefs to the philosophers before they were able to see that the Earth was round. They believe that the Sun and the Moon are about 51 miles in diameter and circle around the flat disk about 3,147 miles away. Some believe that Antarctica spreads infinitely across the world, and some refuse to believe the conventional laws of gravity and instead believe that the flat Earth accelerates upwards and creates the illusion of gravity.

I don’t think the Earth is flat. I don’t know exactly why people choose to believe their theories versus scientific facts, proof, and evidence. I think they might just want to go against society, disagree for attention or entertainment, or they just genuinely think the Earth is flat. I think the scientific evidence is trustworthy and there is no way that the Earth is flat.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Do you think the Earth is flat?

Why do you think some people think the Earth is flat?

What are some ideas/conspiracies you have heard about the flat earth?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, the earth is definitely not flat and is very round according to lots of data provided by very trustworthy scientists. I think it's funny you've never heard conspiracies, because I've met a lot of people who like to say it as a joke.

• I don't think that the Earth is flat, I think people think that it's flat because of how we see the world, we do not see it as round, nor do we feel that we are rotating around the sun.

• I agree. Some people might find it hard to believe because they've never seen it for themselves. I have met many people with the mindset of 'I have to see it to believe it', so I definitely think that could play a role here.

• I do not believe the earth is flat, and I never have. I have not heard much things from people that believe in flat earth but I know osme people that dont believe it ask them how we dont just walk off the edge at some point.

• I agree, I've never thought the Earth was flat because I always thought it was so ridiculous and I didn't think people actually believed that. Most people who believe it is don't have much reasoning to back up why they believe that.

• I don't think the earth is flat because there is proof that it isn't like pictures. I think some people think the earth is flat to be diffrent or becasue they don't belive that its round. I have heard that it is flat but other than that I havnt heard any others. 

• I agree, there is a lot of proof proving that the Earth is round and the ony proof that 'proves' the Earth is flat are the conspiracies they made up that don't have a sound argument and evidence to back it up. I feel like people who say the Earth is flat never fully believe it.

• No, I don't believe that the earth is flat, but if there are too many people who believe that, the majority are older people because they continue with ideas from their times and others simply to believe they are unique. I don't remember the different conspiracies I've heard.

• I agree, older people tend to stick with their old beliefs and ways that they grew up around. I get that it can be hard to change something that you knew your whole life, but I think it's just dumb to be upset about something like that changing.

• I dont think that the earth is flat becuase of the curve, maybe becuase of the only photos of the earth is from nasa and or probably a diffrent reasons. Ive heard that the earth is a donut shaped, the earth is flat becuase we can see the moon during the day.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker