Is the Earth flat?

How did the theory of the flat earth start?

As most people know, when you stand on the ground and look around, you can’t tell that the Earth is round and looks very flat instead. In order to see the curved horizon, you have to be at least 35,000 ft above the ground. Obviously, this takes advanced technology to accomplish, so for a very long time, people could not see that the Earth had a curve and just thought it was flat. Many ancient philosophers perceived the Earth to be a flat disk floating in the ocean.

Flat Earth Society

Although we have made discoveries and have had technological advances that prove the Earth is round, many people still seem to be infatuated with the idea of the Earth being flat. In the 1830s, the concept of the flat earth was reinstated by a commune in Britain, led by Samuel Birley Rowbotham. This was in response to the scientific progress being made. In the 1950s, the Flat Earth Society was created. The group was based in Britain with around 4,000 members. When social media became popular and started to have a great influence, the organization relaunched itself worldwide in October 2009. 

This group has many similar beliefs to the philosophers before they were able to see that the Earth was round. They believe that the Sun and the Moon are about 51 miles in diameter and circle around the flat disk about 3,147 miles away. Some believe that Antarctica spreads infinitely across the world, and some refuse to believe the conventional laws of gravity and instead believe that the flat Earth accelerates upwards and creates the illusion of gravity.

I don’t think the Earth is flat. I don’t know exactly why people choose to believe their theories versus scientific facts, proof, and evidence. I think they might just want to go against society, disagree for attention or entertainment, or they just genuinely think the Earth is flat. I think the scientific evidence is trustworthy and there is no way that the Earth is flat.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Do you think the Earth is flat?

Why do you think some people think the Earth is flat?

What are some ideas/conspiracies you have heard about the flat earth?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, there is endless evidence to prove that the Earth is round and it is all backed up by huge amounts of science yet flat earthers only have their opinions and theories to back up their claims. They definitely just want to argue with other people.

• I don't think the Earth is flat, there's enough evidence that proves that it is round. I think why some people believe this to be true is probably because they don't believe the evidence that's out there to be correct. I've heard of other conspiracies like the earth being a donut shape, but those seem so realistic.

• I agree, many of the flat earthers are just skeptical of the scientific evidence and don't want to beloieve it because they want to be right and they don't want scientists to tell them they're wrong. I've heard the donut shape theory recently and I think that makes less sense than the flat Earth theory.

• No, the earth is not flat because there is hard evidence that it is round. I think that some people think that the earth is flat because they have a mental illness. If hear that people think the earth is flat because they can see things that are miles away. 

• I agree, there is really good evidence that proves the earth is round. I don't know if people are flat earthers because they have a mental illness, but I guess that could be the case for some people. 

• I do not think the Earth is flat, I think there is too much information to prove that it isnt flat. I think some people think its flat due to the unknowledge of the earth and how it works. Ive heard lots of conspiracies, some being its all flat, and or gravity is not real. 

• I agree, I never really understood exactly how much evidence there was until researching it, but it seems like there will always be something new to read about why the earth is round. I think flatearthers are probably misinformed.

• I do no thtink that the earth is flat. People probably think this way because they don't know how gravity or anything like that works. I have heard that it has to be flat or else the water wouldn't stay on earth which is just foolish of someone to say that.

• I agree. I think most people who think the earth is flat don't consider gravity, mountains, oceans, or anything like that that would be changed by the shape of the  earth. Some people really people that about the water, but that is because they don't understand gravity.

• I don't think that the earth is flat and I think people who think it is are just ignoring science or just want something  to argue about. One time I hade someone tell me the earth is flat and the government built walls to hold the ocean in.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker