Schools are required by state law to have annual drills in emergency situations. On March 4, 1908, the Lake View school in Collinwood, Ohio caught ablaze due to a furnace overheating. The teachers and staff remained calm and let the students talk among themselves as they exited. This was the worst school fire in history taking 172 students, 2 teachers, and 1 rescuer. Ever since then schools and other public buildings have been finding safer and easier ways to exit the building. Now schools teach their students that walking in a single file line and staying quiet is the best way out of the situation. Is this the best way though?

In case of a fire students are supposed to be quiet and listen to the teacher’s instructions. Line up at the door in a single file manner. Quietly walk outside the building until reaching a safe area. As well as in a tornado situation. It is taught to walk quietly to the designated area in the school.

I think that lining up in a single file line in a fire/tornado situation is a good way to get out of the school in a fire or get to a safe place. I think this because it allows the teachers and school staff to get everyone out safe. I also think that staying quiet really helps get everyone out of the situation much quicker than not. At first I thought that lining up was just a waste of valuable time but now it makes sense to me.

What do you think about walking in a single file line during an emergency?

Would you change the way the school has it now?

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/collinwood-disaster-fire-safety 

https://www.wikihow.com/React-to-a-Fire-Alarm-at-School-(Kids) 

https://emergency.vt.edu/ready/guides/building-fire/building-fireduring.html#:~:text=Never%20take%20an%20elevator%20when,and%20report%20where%20you%20are.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that schools should take out the single file line during an emergency rule because, let's be real, no one is going to do that if there is an emergency. I know if there was emergency I would be trying to get away from it as fast as I can. No one is going to stay calm, quiet, and collected. People are going to worry.

• I understand that if this were to be a true secenario that nobody would truly stick to it, however, It does help bring down the chaos and keeps each class together. I also understand that many would try to get out as fast as possible, but it would help first responders to know how many students may be trapped in the building if everyone stayed together for quicker attendance.

• I understand why they would want us to walk in a single file line, but if there was a fire right behind me I wouldn't be walking in a single file line, I would be running away. I think I would change it so that if it was a very urgant emergancy you just run out. 

• I feel like in the moment when there is a real fire or tornado it would be hard for students to stay calm and quiet. I think it would be beneficial though if we stayed in a single file line, but make it quick getting out/to the place we need to be, only because if there is a big crowd trying to move where they're supposed to be it could get hectic and people wouldn't be able to get out in time because everyone is quickly trying to get out at the same time.

• I agree that in an actual event that students would find it hard to quiet and calm, but it'd be beneficial to stay in a single file line. I also agree that if the line was moving quick enough there wouldn't be as much of an issue. 

• I think walking in a single file line does the job just fine. It prevents kids from getting tampled on the way out and prevents doorways from getting clogged full of students. Its not like the fire is going to spread faster than you can speed walk.

• I think that it is a good way for students to remain somewhat calm during these types of situations, however, I think that it can be a bit slow. I think single file lines are most likely the better solution compared to everyone just running.

• I agree that walking in a single file line during an emergency keeps people calm. I aslo agree that the lines can be a little slowat times, but are the best alternative instead of pushing past everyone to get out. 

• I think that there are some benefits for walking in a single-file line during an emergency but I think that students shouldn’t. I think that people would get out faster if they ran instead of walking. There will be people that get hurt because people will be pushing them over to get outside. It does depend on what the emergence is and where it is at.

• I feel like there are benefits and faults to walking in a single-file line during an emergency.  I believe that people would get out faster if we all ran. However, there will be people that get hurt.  I think that it depends on the emergency to decide on which way to leave.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker