Is Math the most important subject?

Over the past few years, people have been debating whether or not math is the most important subject in school. Most people argue that math is more important than any other subject because of the fact that it is used in almost everything you do. I agree with what most people think because Math can help you and is used in everyday life and in all careers that you can go into from construction to being a doctor.

According to a study at Stanford University, students with a high level of math skills have better decision making and give better visual attention. Since your math and decision making skills are associated with the same part of the brain. In short, this study tells you that math is good for your brain as a whole. Also, math can help you better your life skills such as budgeting, furniture building, and telling time.

Next, math can also help you with your cooking skills and obviously those are needed especially if you live alone or are in college. It can also help your problem solving skills and critical thinking. Because it helps you identify problems and helps you find the best way to solve them. Finally, as a whole, I would say that math is the most important subject due to the fact that it helps you better in everything.

Do you think math is the most important?

What is the most important subject?

https://www.mathnasium.com/steinerranch/news/5-reasons-math-important#:~:text=Math%20increases%20your%20problem%2Dsolving,other%20areas%20of%20your%20life. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done Brock! Be sure to comment back on three different days.

• I do not think there is a one subject that is most important. Until you reach a certain level, a lot of math is just memorization and speed. Classes like English engage abstract thinking a lot more in my opinion. Math engages logical thinking. Science involves a lot of math and other skills, so it could be considered the most important just based on that. I think excelling at any of the subjects indicates intelligence.

• I think math is the most important because you use it 24/7. For example if you are building a house, you're not going to use English you would need math. Math opens up your brain in a variety of things. I learn something new everyday from math.

• I think that every subject is important in its own way, but I think math is probably the most important. In most careers, you are going to use basic math skills. It would be nearly impossible to live without even just some basic math knowledge.

• I think that math is a close second in the most important subject, I would say that the most important is history. I say this because we learn the most from the past. That way we don't repeat it. Such as in world war 2, we need to learn what happened so that it never happens again.

• I can see why you think that history is very important and it is. Although I don't think that it applies as much as math does in our everday life. Yet, it is very important that we don't repeat something like World War 2.

• In my personal opinion, I think that math is extremely important for the majority possible careers. But I do think that for the majority of people english is probably the most important. It is crucial for people to have the ability to properly communicate with others.

• I agree with you that math is extremely important for most careers and I also can see why you think that english is the most important since obviously we use that in our everday lifes.

• I think that math is important, but I don't think that it is the most important subject. Math can help you with understanding logical processes and just a general better understanding of problems. In my opinion, it is also important to have a basic understanding and knowledge about social studies/history and personal finance/business. 

• I do not think math is the most important subject in school. I think nobody can say that one subject is the more important than the others because depending on what you want to do with your life, the most important subject is going to change. For example: if you want to be scientist, the most important subject is science, if you want to be an author, the most important subject is English, etc.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker