The history of Santa Claus goes back 100s of years. It is rooted from the legend of St. Nicholas, a man who spread his wealth by giving to the poor and sick. Today Santa is portrayed as a large man in red, who flies a magical sleigh around the world, (with the help of his reindeer),  and delivers presents on Christmas night. Children are told all throughout the year to be well-behaved so they don't end up on  Santa's “naughty list”. Many children grow up believing this legend, leaving out cookies for Santa, writing him letters, etc. The real question is when a child asks their parent “Is Santa real” should they lie? 

Some believe that lying to children about Santa's existence is a “cruel idea” or “morally wrong”. At a certain point, kids begin to recognize reality vs fantasy, and Some worry when they do they will feel hurt or betrayed for being lied to. Research shows that “kids who are lied to by their parents are more likely to lie themselves.” However, Others believe that the idea of Santa is fun, magical, and a completely harmless lie. It is meant to bring Christmas joy while encouraging kids to behave.

I think that it is ok for parents to lie about Santa Clause. It m,ay be difficult to realize it was your parents eating the cookies, buying  the presents, and reading the letters,  but it doesn't take away all the special moments of Christmas and our parents do it to make us happy. I think the lie of Santa is a harmless one. 

Do you think its ok for parents to lie about Santa?

What will you tell your kids?

How did you find out Santa wasn't real?   10886390481?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real 

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you its ok to lie. 

• I think its okay for parents to lie to their kids about santa. it gives kids a fun thing to look foward to around christmas and its not a lie that is going to really affect anyone. I think that santa is a good thing for childern to beilve in. It makes the kids happy and there no harm to it. 

• I agree its meant to bring joy.

• I think that it is not a bad thing for parents to lie about santa being real, because it gives kids something to look forward to when they wake up and see that the cookies were eatan. But, at some point, i think they should tell their kid that santa is not real.

• I agree it gives kids something to look forward to.

• I think it is okay for parents to lie to their parents about Santa Claus because it is a major part of their childhood. I think that letting your kids believe in Santa Claus because it can spark their imagination and make the holidays a lot more fun. Santa Clause can be one of the best parts of a kids childhood.

• I agree Its a major part of childhood.

• I think that its perfectly ok for parents to lie about Santa being real because it makes kids excited for Christmas and makes them want to be nicer during the holiday. I will tell my kids that he is real while they are young and then let them figure it out.  I new santa was fake when I was younger.

• I agree I will do the same as you with my kids. 

• I think that lying to your kid is okay when they are younger, but I think that when your are around 9-10, kids start to question it, and if a kid asks a parent then if Santa is real, they should tell the truth. I think that if you told a 6 year old that Santa wasn't real, it would make them upset, but also, they might tell their friends, which would make their friends upset, which would make the parents mad at you. I found out by a friend when I was in 2nd grade, when I was talking to her and her mom told her that he wasnt real. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker