The history of Santa Claus goes back 100s of years. It is rooted from the legend of St. Nicholas, a man who spread his wealth by giving to the poor and sick. Today Santa is portrayed as a large man in red, who flies a magical sleigh around the world, (with the help of his reindeer),  and delivers presents on Christmas night. Children are told all throughout the year to be well-behaved so they don't end up on  Santa's “naughty list”. Many children grow up believing this legend, leaving out cookies for Santa, writing him letters, etc. The real question is when a child asks their parent “Is Santa real” should they lie? 

Some believe that lying to children about Santa's existence is a “cruel idea” or “morally wrong”. At a certain point, kids begin to recognize reality vs fantasy, and Some worry when they do they will feel hurt or betrayed for being lied to. Research shows that “kids who are lied to by their parents are more likely to lie themselves.” However, Others believe that the idea of Santa is fun, magical, and a completely harmless lie. It is meant to bring Christmas joy while encouraging kids to behave.

I think that it is ok for parents to lie about Santa Clause. It m,ay be difficult to realize it was your parents eating the cookies, buying  the presents, and reading the letters,  but it doesn't take away all the special moments of Christmas and our parents do it to make us happy. I think the lie of Santa is a harmless one. 

Do you think its ok for parents to lie about Santa?

What will you tell your kids?

How did you find out Santa wasn't real?   10886390481?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real 

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/tell-kids-santa-not-real

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree its a fun little tradition. 

• I think that all parents should lie about Santa. Growing up, I loved Christmas. I thought it was fun and I can't wait to have Christmas when I'm older with kids. All kids should be able to experience the joy of Christmas time. I am happy that my parents made it fun when I was growing up.

• I agree its a fun tradition for everyone. 

• I think it is ok for parents to tell kids that santa is real. It is not physically hurting them. Its one little lie that brings joy to kids. At my house me have a elf on the shelf and she goes back to the north pole on Chrismas mornig with santa when he stops at our house. 

• I love elf on the shelfs. I agree with you.

• I think parents should keep there kids close to santa as long as they can until there all grown uo so that way they can have fun being kids as long as they can and never lose the kid in them. I personally will tell my kids santa is real.

• I agree Believing in santa makes life more fun. 

• I didn't know that Santa was not real. I think that you are lieing not my parents how dose my elf move every night. I think that santa is still real and yes parents should lie about him being real it just keeps kids kids and it is just something fun and it is tradition. 

• Your right. I am lying. Santa is very real and your elf moves everynight by magic.

• I think it is ok to lie about santa, If they did not the kids would not get as much joy and couriosity from christmas. I will tell my kids that santa is real and he breaks into house to diliver gifts. I never found out that santa was fake and I still belive in him.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker