Is it appropriate to teach religion in schools

Do you think that teachers should be able to talk about their religion in school? There are 78% of schools that have religion in their schools because they think that it is a need. There are schools that don’t teach religion because they don’t see it as much as a priority as other schools. The schools that teach religion say they teach it because it is a part of a public school education because they think that is how people came to the earth.

I think that a religion class could be a class for people who are interested in it or people who need to take that class for credits. I also think that people who don’t want to take the class should not have to take that class because that could be their beliefs. That is what I think about having a religion class at our school.

Do you think that there should be a religion class?

What is your opinion on religion?

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2017/04/26/in-america-does-more-education-equal-less-religion/#:~:text=Indeed%2C%20fully%20three%2Dquarters%20of,topped%20out%20with%20high%20school.

https://www.k12.wa.us/policy-funding/equity-and-civil-rights/information-families-civil-rights-washington-schools/religion-schools#:~:text=Religion%20may%20be%20presented%20as,instilling%20understanding%2C%20tolerance%20and%20respect.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it would be interesting if there was an elective that taught students about religon. I think it would help students to be able to have something positive in their day every day. I think it should be an elective though so if someone isn't comfortable talking about their religon they don't have to sign up for it. 

• I believe that there shouldn't be a class for religion, religion is someones own thing to deal with. Public schools should not be teaching any religion expecially for people who don't really have a religion. There are other places to go to learn about your own religion and school should not be one of the places.

• I personally would have to agree with the fact that people should be able to have a time in there day to go to a church or something in the school and learn more about god, and he created this world. The class I believe you shouldn't get a credit for. 

• I personally believe that there should be an elective religion class because it could give someone who doesn't particularly like school a reason to enjoy it. The class, or classes, would be able to give credits for someone who doesn't have enough to graduate.

• Personally, I don’t think religion should be taught in any way in a public school. I also don’t think it would even be fair to have an elective class for religion as there are so many different religions and only a couple would be covered. Everybody has their own personal beliefs when it comes to religion and I don’t think school is the place for that to be explored.

• I don't think that religion should be taught in public schools. I get where you're coming from in saying that it could be an elective class, but it still just doesn't seem apropriate. In class, teachers are encouraged to not share their opinion on contoversial matters as to not influence students and do the thinking for them.

• I think that schools should have an extra-curricular or an elective for different religions and practices in the world today. I think this because it could help everyone see and respect in what other people believe in. I think that religion is a great thing to have, but not everyone believes in it.

• I think that it would be interesting to have an elective class about religion where the students can learn about different religions and their beliefs, etc. I think that knowing more about different religions can help you to understand better why people do certain things. I also think that teachers should stay neutral and that there shouldn't be taught any "personal" religion in other classes. 

• I think that they should offer an elective class about religion. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a short class a day for everyone to learn about some religion. However, I think that some parents would cause a scene and get very upset about it. I would sign up for a religion class if it was an option. 

• I agree it would not be a bad idea to have one but it would or could cause lots of scenes and that is not what the school want. I think if our school had a class that I would take it, And I would hope other people would too.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker