Is being an only child better than having siblings?

There are a lot of pros and cons to having siblings or being an only child. Being a person with many siblings I obviously have the opinion that it would be much better to be an only child for a very long list of reasons. While only children have the opposite opinion; also with a list of reasons.

Studies show only children are spoiled because their parents don't have any other children to take care of. Having one child rather than many or just multiple is much easier on parents money and time-wise and makes it much easier to deal with their child's needs. Studies also show that children with no siblings tend to have a closer relationship with their parents. But they also tend to have higher IQs because their parents have higher expectations for them.

Meanwhile, children with many siblings are a lot less lonely or bored. Many siblings have a bond that's there despite fighting due to the fact that they are around each other every day. A lot of people also point out for future reference they would like to have nieces or nephews which could be a given with siblings. But being around your siblings all of the time(especially with age gaps or siblings that don't share the same hobbies or interests) can lead to arguments/conflict. And your parents spend a lot on each child every year so they won't have as much money-wise as only children.

Being a child with many siblings I think it would be amazing to be an only child. I love my siblings but I also hate them from time to time. I feel like it would be nice to have my parent's full focus or experience life without having to divide everything between my siblings and me; among many other things.

Which do you think would be better? (Only child or siblings)

Why do you think so?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It's great to have someone around your age to depend on. Siblings with age gaps tend to struggle with that type of thing but as stated before in the future your gonna miss your siblings when they aren't around all of the time. Being an only child would be difficult with the pressure to do well by yourself from your parents.

• i think that having more sibings are better because its not so lonely. i have 2 brothers and 5 sisters without them i think things would be lame not having someone to talk to. sometimes i think it would be nice to be an only child becuase they get on my nerves. but i love them all and wouldnt want to be an only child.

• I completely agree you fight sometimes but in the end it would be boring and lonely without them. I couldn't imagine a life without my siblings. I want one from time to time but I knew if I had the choice and picked being an only child I would regret it.

• I have an older brother and an older sister. I love both of them and I'm glad they exist. If I didn't have siblings my life would be very boring and lonely. Material goods would only bring so much happiness. Being the younger child, I'm the only kid who is at home as both of my siblings are already moved out. The house is very boring without them and I look forward to seeing them whenever I get the chance. I don't think I would be very happy as an only child.

• That's another great point when you grow up you tend to respect and lean on your siblings a lot more than you did when you were in the house with them. Having time apart shows you just how much you miss them and I feel like my siblings and I will have a better relationship in the future.

• I have three brothers, and I think having siblings is better than being an only child. Having siblings gives you a lot of company. Being an only child would be boring and lonely. I agree that having more siblings costs more money, but I think it is better to have siblings.

• I completely agree about the boring part but sometimes its nice to be alone without your siblings. I love them to death but sometimes the things they do make me want to be an only child.

• Having four younger siblings, I feel like there are times when I would want to be an only child. But if I actually think about it, I wouldn't want that. Sometimes we argue and fight, but we always end up resolving the issue in the end. Although it is difficult to connect with my youngest brother because of the age gap, I still enjoy the moments we have where we are able to connect in some way. I wouldn't want to be an only child because I feel like in a way my siblings have made me the person I am. 

• Siblings are awesome and I agree the age gap is difficult especially if its your brother than you most likely wont share the same interests but I agree having them around is great and its nice to have a connection with the people you are closest to.

• Having siblings is great, especially if they are near your age or older than you. The number of things you can learn from your siblings, especially those older than you, is great. Older siblings essentially take the hit first so you don't have to make that same mistake. Siblings are an amazing thing where even if you don't like them in a moment you'd regret it if you ever lost them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker