Is being an only child better than having siblings?

There are a lot of pros and cons to having siblings or being an only child. Being a person with many siblings I obviously have the opinion that it would be much better to be an only child for a very long list of reasons. While only children have the opposite opinion; also with a list of reasons.

Studies show only children are spoiled because their parents don't have any other children to take care of. Having one child rather than many or just multiple is much easier on parents money and time-wise and makes it much easier to deal with their child's needs. Studies also show that children with no siblings tend to have a closer relationship with their parents. But they also tend to have higher IQs because their parents have higher expectations for them.

Meanwhile, children with many siblings are a lot less lonely or bored. Many siblings have a bond that's there despite fighting due to the fact that they are around each other every day. A lot of people also point out for future reference they would like to have nieces or nephews which could be a given with siblings. But being around your siblings all of the time(especially with age gaps or siblings that don't share the same hobbies or interests) can lead to arguments/conflict. And your parents spend a lot on each child every year so they won't have as much money-wise as only children.

Being a child with many siblings I think it would be amazing to be an only child. I love my siblings but I also hate them from time to time. I feel like it would be nice to have my parent's full focus or experience life without having to divide everything between my siblings and me; among many other things.

Which do you think would be better? (Only child or siblings)

Why do you think so?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree having siblings is great and as I said before it is a lot harder to get along with and share interests with your siblings when they are younger than you. I second that statement it is great when you have some near your age or older.

• I think having siblings is better in the long run. You have people to go to whenever you need it, family to always fall back on, and even best friends that you'll always have. I have 5 sisters and although it is overwhelming sometimes, I wouldn't trade having all my sisters for being an only child.

• I like having my siblings when I get in trouble because they always let me talk to them and use their stuff whether they want to or not cuz it's a sibling thing. I agree it gives you someone to lean on.

• No, because you get stuck with all the chores and garden work. Being the only kid, you get to do all the cleaning and the outside work. I know because I’m an only child right now and have to do all of the chores. I would like to have some help from my sisters but I don't. 

• I'm assuming they've moved out or something. I can understand that. I hate chores and not having my siblings would make them difficult. Valid point overall yes.

• I personally think that having siblings is better because I have nothing to do when I get home and I am also always very bored. Ive been an only child for my whole life and it kinda sucks. I know that when I get older I won't have any brothers or sisters to talk to nor will I have any neeses or nephews. Don't say you would rather be an only child because I'm telling you now, IT SUCKS.

• I can see where you're coming from and being an only child sounds really boring when you describe it that way. I feel like if I got the choice to experience being an only child I would take it, but I would regret it in the long run when I start to see what you're talking about.

• Thinking back, when I was about 6 years old I asked more for a brother... I ended up getting one a few months later. Then I wanted a sister... about a year later I also got one. Long story short, I now have 5 other siblings. Just be be clear I only wanted the first 2, even thought now I regret asking for siblings at all. Don't get me wrong love them a lot but the can be quite difficult at times. So yes, I guess I do with to be an only child at times.

• At times I don't like having siblings and they make me want to be an only child. But I like having them around. I think it's cool that u wished for both and got them. I wish I could have older brothers instead of younger ones so they would be more mature. Their immaturity is the main cause of me and my sisters not wanting siblings, but yeah I think everyone wants to be an only child sometimes.

• I think it would be more fun to have siblings. Sometimes I fight with my brother and sister but I feel like if I didn't have anyone else at home other than my parents I would get really bored all the time.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker