Is Being An Only Child Better Than Having Siblings?

Is being an only child better than having siblings? 

Parents usually spend more time with an only child. Having other siblings causes less one on one time with parents. Don't get me wrong I love my little siblings but I wish I were an only child so I could spend more time with my parents. 

There are disadvantages to being an only child. One of the disadvantages is that the child could become lonely with no other kids their age to play and fight with. Another thing is sharing with other kids since this child has been an only child they won't know how to share with other kids when they go to school/play dates. An only child feels it's difficult to interact with other kids too because all they are used to is their parents. 

Kids growing up with siblings generally spend more time with each other rather than with their parents. Their relationship is likely to last longer and they can shape up against each other's personalities. They get to understand the value of relationships, love, and family at an early age. Children will be able to strengthen their communication skills by watching and listening to their siblings. The older sibling is most likely the role model and the younger sibling will learn faster. 

What are your thoughts on having siblings or being an only child? 

When you can have kids, will you have one or multiple? Why? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think having siblings teaches children social skills and how to handle conflict throughout life. I have two siblings, so I'm not sure what it is like to be an only child, but I think it could probably get very lonely. Sibling relationships are ones you have for almost your entire life, so you get to learn and accommodate others your whole life if you have siblings.

• I think there are upsides and downsides of having siblings. For example, I have a brother and 3 sisters and sometimes wish that they weren't my sisters or brothers. However, that is just a part of having siblings. They can be annoying at some times but also give support and comfort at other times. I hear a lot of my friends from my old school say how much more easy it is to have a brother rather than being a single child because they would be bored and have no one to talk to. 

• I think it kind of depends on the person whether or not having a sibling is better. I have siblings but they're all a lot older than me so I'm the only child in the house so it feels like I'm the only child sometimes and I don't like only having my parents to talk to sometimes. When I have kids I want to have more than one just because I think having kids would be nice and then they would have a sibling to be with sometimes.

• I think that it is nice to have siblings depending on who they are. If your siblings are not jerks and do nice things they are definetly worth having. I can see where siblings can get annoying though. Overall, if your siblings are good people you will not dislike having them.

• I have siblings and I definetly wouldn't want to be an only child. Being an only child would mean getting all of my parent's attention and that sounds terrible to me. Also, I would probably be even less social than I already am. Although, an upside would be that my parents would have more money to spend on me. If I have kids, I would like to have 2-4 kids.

• I personally would not like being an only child. I feel that I wouldn't like it and probably get really bored with nobody to talk to. Especially cause that one child (in most cases) is usually spoiled by their parents because they don't have any siblings to share the love with. 

• I really beleive one is not better than the other it is really circumstancial depending on the parent and the sibling both one is not better than the other they both have ups and dont and they get worde with lets say bad parent or siblings

• I think that having siblings would be much better than being an only child. I think this because with siblings although some may not like their siblings now, they will in the future. Being an only child would tend to get lonely at times and only children tend not to be self-sufficient.

• I think having siblings helps out a family. It can help better yourself and your other sibling in the long run. Having a older brother helps me tremendously in school, sports, work ethic, etc. I will have multiple kids because I believe it helps everyone as one team.

• I think that having siblings is pry one of the best things. Some people think that they dont have friends but if you have a brother or sister then you have a built in friend. I have 4 brothers and if i need somthing or someone to talk to i will go talk to them. I plan on having at least 2 kids so they have one and another.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker