Is Being An Only Child Better Than Having Siblings?

Is being an only child better than having siblings? 

Parents usually spend more time with an only child. Having other siblings causes less one on one time with parents. Don't get me wrong I love my little siblings but I wish I were an only child so I could spend more time with my parents. 

There are disadvantages to being an only child. One of the disadvantages is that the child could become lonely with no other kids their age to play and fight with. Another thing is sharing with other kids since this child has been an only child they won't know how to share with other kids when they go to school/play dates. An only child feels it's difficult to interact with other kids too because all they are used to is their parents. 

Kids growing up with siblings generally spend more time with each other rather than with their parents. Their relationship is likely to last longer and they can shape up against each other's personalities. They get to understand the value of relationships, love, and family at an early age. Children will be able to strengthen their communication skills by watching and listening to their siblings. The older sibling is most likely the role model and the younger sibling will learn faster. 

What are your thoughts on having siblings or being an only child? 

When you can have kids, will you have one or multiple? Why? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that having a sibling is fun because you pretty much would always have something to do when your bored and your always going to have help but sometimes it is horrible having siblings 

• I think that it is better ot have siblings. I am not sure if I will even have kids, along with after I do get married kids aren't always something that you chose. I think that another pro to having siblings is that you learn how to make up with people after a fight, which, I think, is one of the biggest things I've learned from my sister.

• I think having siblings is way more fun than being an only child. Everyone has their moments with their siblings or a family member but it can always be worked out and having siblings can be a blast. Even if you aren't that close they are usually almost always there for you. 

• I think having siblings is much funner then being the only child. I would rather have siblings then be the only child because I would get bored. There are many pros of being an only child but having siblings means you get more advice, more critism, and way more help. 

• I personally like having siblings and I would trade the ones I have for the world I love them both no matter what and I always will. I mean sure sometimes they get on my nerves and bug me about stuff, but I don’t have any good reason to want to be an only child. When I am able to have children I think that I would want to have 3 one boy and two girls because I think that having siblings builds character and builds a great personality and at the end of the day they will be there to support you when nobody else does. It's like having a built-in best friend.

• I think that by having siblings it helps kids become more responsible. I wouldn't want to be an only child and think that a good relationship with your siblings is very important and something I am grateful for. When I have kids I would want more than 1 because I would want them to have a good realtionship and life-long friends. 

• I think that it might be okay to be an only child because then I wouldn't have to drive my siblings to their activities and listen to them being annoying all the time. I also don't mind having siblings sometimes though because they just keep things interesting. If and when I have any kids, I will definetly have more than one, because I don't need my kid to be lonely.

• I think that being an only child is way better then having siblings. Having siblings sucks because you have no personal space, you can't do anything without them being there, and they take all of the attention. When I have kids i'm only having one because I know how it feels to have siblings. 

• I think having siblings really builds character. I wish I had more siblings just because their really fun to hangout with once they get over the tattle tale ages. I think siblings helps a kids attitude especially because the attention isnt always on one person and you learn to share at a young age. 

• If I had the decision to be an only child or have a sibling, I would choose to have a sibling. It is really easy to argue with your siblings and fight, but at the end of the day, you're not as lonely, and you always have someone to talk to.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker