Is band underrated?

As a band student, I have noticed that kids outside of the program tend to stereotype us. For example, multiple videos on social media depict band students as weird, stupid, and often socially akward. While there are a few cases of this being true, the vast majority of students in band are normal compared to the average student. In fact, multiple sources suggest that band is actually benefical to boost your already average skills . 

There are many different claims to support this theory. For example, students in band grow to have better vocabulary than their peers. The National Academy of Sciences stated that students who have participated in band for 3 years are better at detecting speech sounds and patterns. As a matter of fact, playing an instrument uses every part of your brain. 

Futhermore, engaging in band increases your emotional perception. The European Journal of Science found that those who are musically trained had a greater chance of identifying vocal emotions. They suspect this is because msuic conveys so much emotion with a lack of words, it becomes easier to recognize. 

These are many more studies showing much more statistics:

-Playing an instrument reduces stress, creates patience and perseverance, develops music appreciation, induces creativity, increases memory compatibility, etc.

-Playing in band gives students a sense of belonging, helps produce life skills, creates a "work"(band)/life balance, shows students how to work together, etc.

In conclusion, there are many benefits to joining band. The only thing that is really preventing students from joining is the social stigma surrounding being a student withing the band program. I believe that everyone should feel free and welcomed into the music program without the fear of being bullied or generalized unfairly.

Do you think band is beneficial?

Should the band be appreciated more?

Why do you think people make fun of those in band?

https://banddirectorstalkshop.com/

https://www.science.org

https://pianopower.org

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally think that band can be benifical to certian people but not to everyone. I also do think that the band should be appreciated as they been very succesful at our school and they do some pretty cool things. Personally band is not benifical to me but I do think it is to others. 

• I think that band in beneficial to those who genuinely enjoy it or want to go into a career field that involves band and music in their everyday life. I think band should be appreciated more because there are a lot of practice hours that go into being good in band.

• I think that band can be beneficial to some students, but for a person who personally doesn't like band I don't see this extracurricular being beneficial to me. I think it takes talent to be able to play instruments, and lots of extra time that does go unnoticed.

• I think band can be beneficial, but you would have to like it and want to do it for it to be beneficial. Many students just don't like band. I think the band is appreciated at Harlan because we have a pretty good band. I think band kids get made fun of because they are nerds. Band kids are smart so everyone thinks they are nerds which is usually true.

• I really don't see that band is beneficial because I don't see what it really does to help you out in my point of view. I feel that the people in band are still like any person and they should still be treated fairly. I feel that the majority of most people make fun of the band people because they don't see band the way those certain people do and they don't see it as beneficial for them. 

• Well, it is hard to argue that band isn't beneficial, especially considering all the information shown above. However, it is only beneficial to those who actually care, so I can see as to why you wouldn't succeed.

• I think that band helps develop a ton of people mentally. It also helps with reading scores. I went to a running store recently and heard of a story of a high school that like our schools football, except it was about band. She said that one time when they didn't have pep band the other school called and complained, because that's why most of the spectators had come to the game.

• I think that is a great story! I think our band showed be recognized as this. We put in so much work, like the IJC band, but they get little to no recognition or support in what they do. Not only is the band good, but it is good for students to learn.

• The stereotype is funny; based on vines and stuff, but it doesn't really happen here since like half of the high school is in band. People make fun of the people that fit the stereotype. That's just being realistic, but in general, you see a lot of people excel in band here in Harlan and it seems to be one of our greater assets so yeah it could be appreciated a lot more.

• I personally don't think the stereotype is funny or just, since band students are being generalized. It definetely still happens at our school, even after the band finds success in everything that we do. I think students in band are majorly underrated especially when related to academic or athletic success.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker