Is 25 Minutes Enough to Eat?

It doesn't seem like everyone has enough time to eat lunch in the 25 minute schedule for lunch. I think they should add on a few more minutes for us because I see everyone rushing to eat their food. On the other side, there is more class time for teachers with the middle period. There are both good and bad outcomes to the 25 minute lunch period, but do we need more time or less time?

30 minutes can allow kids to be less rushed, as there is always a big line for lunch. According to Health Essentials, it shows that eating slower can have a lower risk of obesity. I feel like it also allows food to settle before moving onto the next class. Kids don't finish all of their lunch in the 25 minute period, which results in food waste. Slow eaters are also healthier than fast eaters, according to Health Essentials. I think the extra 5 minutes could make a huge difference, but you would have to cut some class time. 

On the other side, you could only finish lunch in 20 minutes and be done with it.  Although some people could finish lunch in 5-10 minutes, they are likely overeating and having indigestive risks, according to Health Essentials. People who eat their lunch quickly can develop diabetes and become obese (Health Essentials). It also shows why some kids can get sick after lunch and leave. I think teachers would like a 20 minute lunch period so they have more time to teach instead of the lunch period taking up half of the time. I see many teachers complaining about the shortened period for lunch.

Overall, I think the 30 minute lunch would be better for everyone since they wouldn't be in a big rush for lunch. The 20 minute lunch would stress some people out, and there would be more chances of kids becoming unhealthy. Although the classes would be cut short in the 30 minute lunch period, it allows kids to not leave school because of getting sick for being fast eaters. The 25 minute period we currently have is in the middle of both the times I have talked about. The 25 minute period might be alright, but some kids still have to rush and eat, which is why I think we need an extra 5 minutes.

Health Essentials

Are you for more or less time for lunch?

How many minutes should be allowed for lunch?

What is your opinion on the current lunch schedule?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, many students rush to dump their trays because of how much time they have left. Lunch doesn't really allow a socializing period or going to a hallway to chat with someone. I agree that we need 5 more minutes.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, students could wind down at lunch after a bad class or test. It would be nice to have a little time to study during lunc if you have a test the next hour. I see why many studetns want more time during lunch.

• I personinaly belive that we shoudl have much more time to eat. We sit inside a school And they make it feel like we are limited to be social. If they dont give us more time to eat and be social then mabey the should just let us eat and be social in classrooms.

• I agree, more time in the lunch period would make people more active in social life. It is a reason why people try to talk to eachother in classrooms, and then the teachers limit us from that, so I agree we need more time.

• I normally finish my lunch befroe the bell rings but I also think we should get a little more time at lunch so we can talk to friends and stuff. I think lunch should be 30-35 minutes long and I have no issues with the lunch time.

• I agree, I think we also need time to talk to friends in a 30-35 minute lunch period. Everyone would finish their lunch if it was longer, so I agree.

• I always finish eating my lunch before the bell rings but I think it'd be nice to have more time for lunch. I think we should have 35 minutes for lunch. I think the lunch schedule we have now is ok but I'd like it to be longer so we can have more time to talk to friends and eat.

• I agree, I feel like more social time with friends would make the school more friendly, and 35 minutes is enough for everyone to finish and meet up wiht friends.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker