Iowa banning social media

On March 23, 2023 Utah governor Spencer Cox signed two new laws that ban the use of social media apps for people under the age of 18. The law enforces that minors need parent permission to use these apps and services. The state of Iowa is now considering imposing this law. The committee voted 14-9 sending it to the full House for consideration. Other states like Arkansas or Missouri are considering this law, but is this going to benefit or hurt minors? There are pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

To start with, there are some pros. The most important is protection of minors. Rep. John Will stated: “What we want to do is make sure that children are being protected from online bullying and from all of the other associated problems that go along with social media platforms.” Technologies can cause social problems and decrease productivity levels.

There are some cons too. Social media help teenagers get informed about recent news and many teenagers use it as a way to communicate with their friends and family. Some experts say that it will be easy for people to fake their parents' consent or their age and it will not be effective. 

In my opinion Iowa shouldn’t ban social media for minors. It is the parents responsibility to decide whether they give their kid access to these apps or not and make sure they use it in a good way. I believe that banning them will lead to kids faking their parents' permission and their age and will not turn out to be as effective as they want to.

Do you think Iowa should impose this law? Why?

Do you think the law would turn out to be effective?

Sources:

https://wbuf.com/ixp/11/p/bans-social-media-new-york/#:~:text=On%20March%2023%2C%202023%2C%20Utah,age%20of%2018%20years%20old.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/11/iowa-house-pushes-bill-requiring-parent-consent-for-kids-social-media/70099843007/

https://secureteen.com/social-media/pros-and-cons-of-social-media

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done Maria!!

• Although social media can sometimes be scary and unsafe, I don't think they should impose this law. I believe that this law would cause more problems than solve any. Many people use social media as a way to communicate. Also, many people's source of income is social media, which will cause people to lose money at younger ages. 

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that Iowa should pass this law and put it into action. I think that for many people social media can be a great way to express themselves and or connect with other people that they might not otherwise. Although, I can understand why some people would wish to see this law be passed.

• I think that social media could be good and bad to a degree. I think this law can help young social media users because there is some weird people out there. I think people should just start to be aware of what they do on social media.

• I personally don't think iowa should impose this law. This law will cause more people to struggle to use social media or give it up all together. I think this law won't do anything at all but annoy people under 18.  I also think that most people will find a way around the age restriction.

• I personally do not think that Iowa should impose this law and ban social media for people under the age of eighteen. I think this because it should be up to the children's parents to ban social media for their children and not the state. 

• I think the same as you. I believe that is the parent's responsability if their kids use this apps or not. 

• I don't think Iowa should ban social media because some people use social media for memories and remebering them. Also friends that moved is a great way to get to them twards social media. but I can see why they would restrict it because of the online bullying and creeps on the apps.

• I do not think that this law should be imposed. I also do not think that this law would be effective. I think this because where there's a will, there's a way, meaning that if they want to badly enough they would figure out how. I think that it is the parent's responsibility completely.

• I agree with you that this law would not be effective because many people would just create fake profiles. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker