Iowa and Nebraska Tornadoes

On Saturday March 26 a couple of tornadoes hit Nebraska and Iowa. They devastated the surrounding towns. Meanwhile, some towns did get hit, and most houses were demolished.

In Iowa at least 3 tornadoes touched ground. One of the tornadoes had hit Minden. After the storm 3-4 people were hospitalized and 20 people were rescued from the wreckage. A tornado hit Lincoln Nebraska, as well as Omaha Nebraska. It is spring so tornadoes are going to be happening more often. The reason so many tornadoes happen in Iowa and Nebraska is because we are in tornado alley. 

Many tornadoes happen in Nebraska and Iowa. One tornado had hit Iowa in May of 1968. The tornado had hit on May 15. 13 people were dead and 450 were injured. It was an F5 and the funnel of the tornado was 600 yards wide. It had passed through Charles City and damaged over 1,500 homes.

The most recent tornado that had caused death in Iowa, was on June 11, 2008. 4 people had died, but 48 were injured during the storm. It was an F3 and the funnel was 440 yards wide. It had hit multiple cities because its path was 7.5 miles long. In Nebraska a tornado hit on May 8 1965. The tornado was an F4 and had killed 4 people. This had happened in Primrose, Nebraska.

These tornadoes were horrible, and I hope people that got hit by it are safe.

Questions:

Did you watch the tornado outside?

Did you or anybody you know get hit by the tornado?

Sources:

https://www.3newsnow.com/weather/weather-history/may-8-1965-violent-tornadoes-in-central-nebraska 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2015/05/11/iowa-deadliest-tornadoes/27132509/

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/minden-shleby-tornado-damage-summary-outbreak 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• yes i did for a lil bit. couple people i know got hit by the tornado but there okay.

• I was not around during the tornado because I was in Okoboji however If I was here I would defenetly have watched the tornado. My house didn't get hit by the tornado but some people I know had buildings damaged and some had houses completely destroyed.

• I did watch the torandos on saturday but i was alos trying to watch the nfl draft and it just keep cutting out . I didn't get hit and it didn't affect me at all except that i got some junk and stuff in the yard . My grandma's shingles were torn off but their roof is ok.

• I didn't watch the tornado, because I was inside at a dance competition, but I saw lots of pictures and videos while I was there. I know a few people that got hit by the tornado. It was very scary and I can't imagine what it would be like to actually get hit.

• I did watch the tornado out side. The tornado was one of the widest and most intimidating torados I have ever seen. Dark as night and moving incredibly fast. This tordnado ruined the homes of several people including a few people that I am close wtih. 

• I did watch the tornado outside after it was past my house and saw it going along highway 59. I knew someone who did get hit by the tornado but my house persnaly didn't get hit and I'm hoping that we don't get hit tonight too. 

• I mean I've only seen a few tornados from a far distance but yeah I guess I think my aunt has been it by a tornado she lives in nebraska and one hit her house bad that lead to her getting a new house.

• I I did watch the tornado outside of my house because it was far away from where I live. We could see the clouds moving in the distance and they were moving very fast. I don't know anyone personally that got hit by the tornado, but I know a lot of people lost their homes and stuff. 

• I was not able to wacth the tornado because i was not in harlan at the time. I do know alot of people that got hit by the tornado and i was helping out all weekend helping my neibors. the tornado was only 3/4 of a mile away from my house and he had zero damage. 

• No and no, I did not go outside because my mom wouldn't let me.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker