Iowa and Nebraska Tornadoes

On Saturday March 26 a couple of tornadoes hit Nebraska and Iowa. They devastated the surrounding towns. Meanwhile, some towns did get hit, and most houses were demolished.

In Iowa at least 3 tornadoes touched ground. One of the tornadoes had hit Minden. After the storm 3-4 people were hospitalized and 20 people were rescued from the wreckage. A tornado hit Lincoln Nebraska, as well as Omaha Nebraska. It is spring so tornadoes are going to be happening more often. The reason so many tornadoes happen in Iowa and Nebraska is because we are in tornado alley. 

Many tornadoes happen in Nebraska and Iowa. One tornado had hit Iowa in May of 1968. The tornado had hit on May 15. 13 people were dead and 450 were injured. It was an F5 and the funnel of the tornado was 600 yards wide. It had passed through Charles City and damaged over 1,500 homes.

The most recent tornado that had caused death in Iowa, was on June 11, 2008. 4 people had died, but 48 were injured during the storm. It was an F3 and the funnel was 440 yards wide. It had hit multiple cities because its path was 7.5 miles long. In Nebraska a tornado hit on May 8 1965. The tornado was an F4 and had killed 4 people. This had happened in Primrose, Nebraska.

These tornadoes were horrible, and I hope people that got hit by it are safe.

Questions:

Did you watch the tornado outside?

Did you or anybody you know get hit by the tornado?

Sources:

https://www.3newsnow.com/weather/weather-history/may-8-1965-violent-tornadoes-in-central-nebraska 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2015/05/11/iowa-deadliest-tornadoes/27132509/

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/minden-shleby-tornado-damage-summary-outbreak 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It was a really big tornado! I believe that it was an EF5

• I didn't watch the tornado outside because awfully scared of big storms like this. No anybody i know didn't get hit by the tornado in any of the areas that the tornado went.

• I did watch the tornado form because I live like a mile or two where the tornado was at. However, I do know some people who got hit but they are safe gladly. 

• I was outide at a point and was able to see the tornado from a distnace. I went inside when the tornado got closer. I know some families who had damage to their property and I went to help clean up. unpredictable. Some people I know were hit, but they are all safe and okay and thats all that matters.

• Yes, I watched the tornado outside because I had never seen one in person and I was curious to see what it looked like and see how it moved from place to place. I was also serious to see where it would go. I did not get hit by the tornado and I do not personally know anyone that was affected by the tornado.

• I did not watch the tornado from outside but watched it pass through harlan through live television and poeple videos. It was extremley scary and very unpredictable. Some people I know were hit, but they are all safe and okay and thats all that matters.

• When the tornado hit, I was at a grad party. We all watched the tornado from the Fresh Encounter Church window, because it was not very close to us. However, I know several people who were severaly affected by the tornado, and some only had minor damage.

• I have never watched a tornado outside, but I would like to do it at least once, although I know it is very risky. I don't think I have anyone I know who has been hit by a tornado. I only experienced tornadoes this year because where I'm from is not an area where tornadoes happen, but I always wanted to witness one.

• I did watch the tornado. I find tornadoes really interesting and watching them is eye opening. But, it's really not good for anyone since someone is losing something valuable due to the storm. My grandma lost her farm and my uncle lost his house.

• I did not watch the tornado outside. I was in my basement. It looked pretty bad on friday, my mother wouldn't let me leave the basement. I know a few people who got hit by the tornado and it is such a sad tragety. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker